asparagus

• 4 Replies

terry d

asparagus
« on: September 20, 2010, 20:01 »
Hi does aminopyralid effect asparagus thinking of starting an asparagus bed on land effected last year

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
Re: asparagus
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 23:16 »
i dont think it would do anything to your asparagus as such BUT i would not grow anything near that stuff after using it not veg anyway. am i not right in thinking it was banned in the uk a few years ago? after concerns about it entering the food chain

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 23:51 »
It was re-introduced in June.

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 00:02 »
ahhhh ok cool i hope they changed something about it then. it must have been banned for a reason?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:18 »
Dow have, supposedly, made the usage-chain more accountable and the temporary ban has therefore been lifted.

The instructions on the can, that I saw a couple of years back, were crystal clear and explained the side effects in words of one syllable!.  Also that it was the duty of the user to inform the owner of the land it was being used on (e.g. if a contractor), and duty of the land owner to inform anyone taking away hay, silage, slurry and manure etc. etc. etc.

Trouble was this didn't happen in practice, and lots of manure wound up on allotments etc.

All the farmers around here that I spoke to at the time the story broke knew nothing about it (which doesn't say a lot for the farming press either IMHO)

So it was withdrawn pending Dow coming up with a better way of policing it, not because it was inherently any more / less bad then when it passed its trials.

Its a particularly useful weed kills for farmers in that it kills weeds in pasture that are very hard to get rid of by other means.

Whether the new procedures will work remains to be seen.

I think the plants that are immune are monocotyledons - like grass / corn - so I don't think Asparagus would be immune, although it may be unaffected. Its an expensive crop to plant, I personally would think twice.

If your land is infected are Dow obliged to help sort it out? (Dunno the answer to that one)

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Re, asparagus, does anyone else do this?

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 14:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 35 queries.