Help, my chicken is not herself!

• 9 Replies

azakeen1980

Help, my chicken is not herself!
« on: August 30, 2010, 16:18 »
My partner and I are new to having chickens, we have 3 and have had the since April 2010. One of the chickens doesn't seem to want to stand up, she sits all the time. She sits wonky with her right and sometimes left wing hanging down. When she does stand its as though the something is too much pain maybe ?? for her and she'll get wobbly and sit down again.

She doesn't walk anywhere either, I occasionally pick her up and put her to the food etc...

I have picked her up and visually can't see anything, she is eating fine also.

Can anyone help and possible know whats wrong? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Aaron and Lindsey

carolbriar

Re: Help, my chicken is not herself!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 16:34 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  What breed are the hens and how old are they?  How long has the hen been like that?  I am sure someone with more experience will come along soon but they will probably need to know the answers to the above questions to be able to help. 
Carol
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

azakeen1980

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 16:58 »
Hello Carol, thank you for your reply and suggestion.

We have one copper maran and two goldlines. The poorly one is one of the glodlines. They are approx 33 weeks old.

We found her like it this morning about 9am. So just today.

Aaron and Lindsey

carolbriar

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 21:33 »
Hi, I had hoped someone with more experience would have replied.  I am fairly new to chicken keeping myself but my first thoughts were Mareks disease.  It could also be she has hurt herself somehow - are her legs warm anywhere in particular - has she hurt her wing? 
How is she this evening?  I had a similar problem with one of mine and we never did find out what was wrong with her.  She was sadly put to sleep in the end as after nearly two weeks she wasn't able to stand and was getting distressed.  I really do hope your hen is alright.  Please keep us informed.
Carol

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 22:00 »
Hi azakeen1980,

You're poor chook does sound fed uo with herself.  She is obviously quite unwell.  There are quite a number of things it could be but without seening her it's very difficult to narrow it down.  I'm afraid my only advice would be to see a vet.

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:00 »
Hows your hen today?  I agree totally with Aunt Sally - a trip to the vets.  I hope she is ok.  Let us know.
Carol

azakeen1980

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 20:29 »
Hiya Carol,

Thank you all for the help and advice. She is much the same today, however I have taken her to the vets and has given her antibiotic for 7 days. He thinks it may be a viral infection. I can't remember what it is called as it is at the allotment. My partner and I have now isolated her from the other two.

I will keep you psted but hopefully she will pick up soon

Lindsey and Aaron

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 20:40 »
good luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 08:28 »
Hope she gets better soon.
Carol

hjobri2

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:43 »
Hi there, this happened to one of our ex-battery hens a while back.  she was like it for about 10 days then gradually got better.  We suspect that she had hurt her leg somehow.  She spent all day sitting down and couldn't even get up to the perch at night so had to sleep on the floor.  We used to put food and water next to her to ensure she got some and when the leg healed she was back to her normal self again.  My partner has kept chickens since his childhood but unfortunately without being able to inspect the chicken its down to guesswork.  Only a vet will be able to give you a garenteed diagnosis.  If she stops eating and drinking or appears to be getting worse or deteriorating physically then you had probably better get her to the vets.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Is my chicken ok??

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 17:22
by mo-jo
clip
chicken run

Started by candymancan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 17:31
by Aliparty
xx
Ill chicken

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 18:55
by jhub

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 36 queries.