Help with filling for my raised bed please!

• 7 Replies

Becky H

Help with filling for my raised bed please!
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:26 »
Hi guys,

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this but I thought you guys would know the answer! :unsure:

I have a raised bed which has just arrived and have calculated it will take approximately 1.3 cubic metres of soil to fill OK so far!

The problem is a tonne is about 1 cubic metre and no one delivers in half tonne measures that I can see and I can't store an extra half a tonne of soil in my housing estate garden

Does any one know either how to convert cubic metres into litres so I can see if it is doable to order the remainder in bags or should I look to fill the extra with some form of organic matter??

Also has anyone any experience of top soil from Dandy's as they are by way the cheapest  I can find.

Thanks muchly for your help!!

Becky

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Help with filling for my raised bed please!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:30 »
Hi Becky,

1 cubic metre = 1000 litres.

Hope this answers part of your question, at least.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Becky H

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:33 »
Thank you for that maths was never my strong point!! Will be calling in at the garden cenre later to work out if cheaper to top up with bagged soil/compost or by that pesky extra bulk bag!!  I feel a swap shop may be needed later!!!! :blush:

Knight Family

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47 »
You will be suprised how quick the soil disapears in a normal garden, but if you buy out of the papers check were and what its come from. I had a farm drop me a load off
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Slowgrind

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:35 »
Hi Becky H, newly spread soil fluffs up by about 1/3 until it becomes settled and compact.
You'll find that the level of your soil appears to drop for a time. If you have some other soil areas in your garden you can easily loose 1/2 a tonne spread out. Soil from a farm can be great but may be full of weed seeds. Stuff from a proper soil supplier may be treated. Look on the net for local suppliers.

Becky H

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 19:54 »
Thanks guys, am opting for a bulk tonne bag from Dandy's as this is treated and then topping up with manure from our horses which is well rotted and three bags of the topsoil on offer from the local garden centre, this should work out about right (I hope!!!)

Am building and treating the bed on Monday as well as lifting the turf and digging over the under soil and adding grit for drainage then next week will fill the bed and hopefully some of my seedlings will be ready by then to go out. :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 19:58 »
You don't need to top them right up as you will be adding manure/compost over the coming seasons anyway. 
Cheese makes everything better.

Missie

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 15:28 »
May be worth asking your local farmer,when we put our raised beds up he came with a huge tractor with full buckets of sloppy cow manure! he only asked for a drink which we gave eggs and jam as a trade :) we topped them up with home made compost from last year,and some topsoil.   I planted some 4 weeks afterwards and all the brassica's in one bed and beetroots in one other have done really well!-onions went potty!

xx
Filling a raised bed

Started by wbmkk on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2014, 14:30
by Goosegirl
xx
Filling raised beds??

Started by moggy on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 09:23
by moggy
xx
need help to design manure filling bag stand

Started by prakash_mib on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 14:14
by aelf
xx
Filling in a large hole advice

Started by GazNicki on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2012, 10:37
by smud6ie

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 35 queries.