Rabbit fencing

• 3 Replies

pairofacres

• Experienced Member
Rabbit fencing
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:12 »
I'm just about to start putting up a rabbit fence around my plot and was wondering what people's opinions were on the best way to tackle the base of the fence?

My neighbour has dug a trench and taken the wire 12+ inches vertically down. Much as I hate to show all his hard work up as wrong, I don't think this is the best approach, as the rabbits will still dig downwards around the perimeter.

I'm thinking that either a) going down 6 inches, then out 6 inches, or b) going down just below the surface, then laying the wire out horizontally for about a foot may be better ideas, as it'll stop the rabbits digging sooner?

John Wilkinson

Re: Rabbit fencing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 16:40 »
I think you could do the fence either way.....a rabbit would have to be pretty determined to dig down more than 12 inches although I must admit I would dig down half that amount and then run the fence out horizontally. It is a bit of a palaver but it will keep them out. Incidentally, most of the fences on my allotment seem to be just pegged down at ground level.

I certainly have not had any problems yet and we do have a thriving rabbit population!

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 16:59 »
we had rabbit proof fencing put around our patch 12 years ago and haven't had a single rabbit break in since.  It goes straight down for a foot then curves upwards back towards the surface for 6 inches (so if rabbits hit the first bit and think they are in they are put off by hitting the second bit presumably!) I suppose rabbits can easily dig down more than 12 inches so guess the deterrent factor is what matters (as I see lots in my neighbour's garden)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Spana

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 17:13 »
We just put in on the ground, out from the fence about18inches  and let the grass grow through it. 
We did have rabbits still getting in and i couldn't make out how as there was no digging under.  Then one day i caught a rabbit in the garden and watched to see where it went out.  It went straight up the wire and over the top.  So we put a big overhang on the outside at the top held up on brackets.  That stopped them.  :lol: Never had a rabbit in there again in about 8years.

xx
Rabbit fencing using conduit

Started by wbmkk on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2014, 19:24
by Trillium
xx
"Rabbit proof" fencing.

Started by Little Flower on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2023, 14:44
by Yorkie
xx
Fencing

Started by supervegman on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 19:02
by Goldfinger
xx
Fencing Ideas

Started by GardenShed on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post January 22, 2014, 16:42
by NorthEast Old Newbie

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 34 queries.