giving up !!

• 10 Replies

topsy

giving up !!
« on: May 23, 2009, 18:25 »
well the cucumbers have died (leaves went brown and curled up) - they were on the turn before they went outside and weather has been lovely so it isnt the cold - so they are to be scrapped

Now the tomatoes are looking suspect and the bottom leaves have gone browny -patchey and they are limp. As seedlings and young adults they looked fit and healthy - i was inspired - but its all going wrong - only the peppers left to die now !!!   

I am gutted as spent quite alot on pots and bits and not i will have nothing to show for it.

May go to B&Q and buy some to replace them.............................

:( :(
if i plant it, will it grow ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: giving up !!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 18:29 »
So sorry to hear your disappointments, topsy.  Don't give up hope on the peppers yet!

Is it worth posting piccies of the plants, see whether there's any advice people can offer to pull plants round or, if necessary, for the next time?

Could you be watering them too much or too little?  What sort of compost are they in?

I'd advise against B&Q for plants if you have an alternative choice as the quality of plants from there can be mixed  (perhaps even try a car boot sale if nurseries attend them - I replaced my slug eaten red cabbages this morning, 9 for £1; would have been at least 75p for 3 at a garden centre)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 20:06 »
well the cucumbers have died (leaves went brown and curled up) - they were on the turn before they went outside and weather has been lovely so it isnt the cold - so they are to be scrapped

Now the tomatoes are looking suspect and the bottom leaves have gone browny -patchey and they are limp. As seedlings and young adults they looked fit and healthy - i was inspired - but its all going wrong - only the peppers left to die now !!!   

I am gutted as spent quite alot on pots and bits and not i will have nothing to show for it.

May go to B&Q and buy some to replace them.............................

:( :(
You say it's not the cold................BUT although it's been quite warm during the day some of the nights have still been chilly. Not frosty i know but still not very warm..........i lost a cucumber in the polytunnel the 1st night i put it out the one in the warmer g/house was fine, luckily.......... Have you got any fleece you could cover them with for a few days when they first go outside.........that's what i'm doing with my sweetcorn...bit of a palaver but i don't want to loose them :unsure:

topsy

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 20:16 »
i will try the garden centres in the morning - but i hear cucumbers are hard to find................i have 3 grow bags left and need to find something !!!!  toms are still there tho lost all lower leaves - my father in law also lost cucumbers and leaves went brown crunchy dry and then they just die - and he has productive allotment and is pretty green fingered !!!!!    so all is not lost and it happens to the best.

I will shop around tomorrow and i have been in the garden for the last few hours and its wonderful so i wont give up !!!!!!!!

thanks for replies !!
 :D

Christine

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 20:55 »
Cheer up topsy - my cucumbers and tomatoes turned their toes up on me too. The cucumbers were too cold, the tomatoes were pricked out too early. Oh and I used a batch of carp peat pots which I kept too wet (moral - never buy cheap peat pots).   :wub:

First time I've ever grown any of them from seed. I've learned lots from the mistakes for next year.

I've managed to kill red cabbage too doing them indoors. Now that is spectacular.  :wub: I'm giving them a last try in a tray on the plot and things are looking far better so far.

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 21:03 »
The lowest leaves on my toms went like you describe...brown & patchy, I cut them off with scissors and have re-potted into bigger pots with fresh compost, they are looking fine at the mo but I'm not counting my chickens...wish I did have some chickens actually  :mellow:

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 18:26 »
don,t give up!
use it as a learning stage,, I had 15 cucumber plants that I looked after like they were babies,, but unfortunately whilst hardening them off I decided to leave them out for the night but it got too cold, think I will be lucky if 3 of them last the week. and I,ve got an upset 5 year old who loves cucumber and was looing forward pickng some staright from the plant..

even guy next door has lost his cucumbers, and to be fair evrything he seems to grow gives 100%

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 20:36 »
every year we have a disaster with at least one crop and success with at least one crop. Thats allotmenting!

Don't give up - keep battling on!!

Aelf
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 20:39 »
I've lost 4 out of 5 cucumbers. Hopefully the remaining one will make it.

It wouldn't occur to me to think about giving up. If you're serious about growing your own veg you have to learn patience  :)  You win some ............  :)

Carol

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 07:41 »
Maybe it's a bad year for cucumbers, mine are looking really poorly as well.  Last year they were brilliant.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 07:43 »
Just don't talk to me about cucumbers! >:( >:(
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sad
Giving up!!

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 22:26
by mumofstig
sad
Giving up

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie
clip
Not giving up!

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 01:13
by Subversive_plot
xx
On not giving up too soon...

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 08:55
by AnneB

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 30 queries.