Honda F400:The resurrection!

• 61 Replies

dorimower

• Experienced Member
Re: Honda F400 manual and accessories wanted
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 18:08 »
Hello Browser,
  There are some tin shrouds on our machine which fit over the alloy gear casing...and make it interesting to get at the seals....I seem to think.??

I confirm that the seals are interesting too...being more than just a conventional oil seal with the shaft running within...and I seem to think that there may have been 2 types.??..as my colleague recalls getting the wrong set on an order once..?
If I remember correct the seal unit fits into the casing as usual but rather than the tine shaft revolving within the seal the inner part of the seal fits over the tine shaft and thus it is part of the seal that is the rotating surface that meets the seal outer...that was hard to try to type.!!...I bet they have a fancy seal type name really ??!!

Our machine had a slight weap recently on one side and as the tine shafts are now rather poorly and a round sort of hexagon!! and we are on borrowed time with it sadly....I elected to leave alone and re filled with a oil mix using half sae50 which we had in stock for a Ransomes gearbox and half sae30.  The 50 grade we last got from a local motorcycle outlet.  This has sorted things for the time being...but is not quite the way I usually like to work...

Do I recall correct that the original listed oil for transmision is the same as the engine oil.??

"Dori"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 19:48 by dorimower »

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 21:00 »
I did the seals on my 400. To get the leg shields off I had to remove the engine and engine plate. A right carry on. I took my time over winter to work on mine. This winter I will make a exhaust. The expense of parts is heart stopping, but reassuringly expensive.
always have a target
and an objective.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 23:07 »
A must have accessory

:) ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 23:08 by Bigbadfrankie »

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 10:42 »
What, the hat? :D
Yup, looks nice, I shall be adapting the ridger I bought to go on the Flymo to fit the Ho9nda when I get five minutes. I still need some drive wheels but I have a cunning plan afoot to deal with that 8)
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 20:04 »
Some pics of the new machine:

The beast, as bought, still in the trailer. Someone has, at some time, fitted a different recoil start cover with the Oil Alert sticker on it (wish it was oil alert ::))

The transmission casing. Spot the missing nuts.....

R.H. tines with one tine missing. Are these on the wrong way around?

The 'Sports' exhaust :D

The depth skid. Do they all have that little plough thingummy on the end?

Close-up of the leaky oil seal and the tines held on with a bent 4 inch nail!

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 21:12 »
looks a little beauty. The tynes look the right way round but the picture is a funny with the one missing tyne.
Mine has a B&S 5hp exhaust welded onto the old exhaust elbow. When i bought a new exhaust for a 3hp B&S it was only a few quid. the bottom seals are the only big task and expensive.
A coat of paint weld on a new tyne you will be down the lotty  deafening the neighbours

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 11:36 »
I'd clocked this, a piece of steel bar with a couple of other bits attached to the end.............looks real difficult to replicate in me garage ::)
This, on the other hand looks very useful!

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 11:41 »
Some pics of the new machine:

R.H. tines with one tine missing. Are these on the wrong way around?

I've managed to figure out why the tines looke like they're on the wrong way around. If you lok at the outer rotor, you will see that the ends of all four tines curve inwards, whereas every other machine I've looked at two curve inward, two curve outwards. Look even close and you'll see that two of the tines are bolted on rather than the original rivets. THe other outer rotor is the same so I think someone has adapted this one for a specific task. Wont take long to remov ethe bolts and swap the outer tines over on each rotor, which will restore the tilling width (one of the reasons for buying a bigger machine) to nearer what it should be. All I've got to do now is scour Ebay for some New-Old-Stock Honda tines to replace the missing one and we're away!

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 11:47 »
make some out of some 6mm plate. I have just ordered up some 7/8" hex to make more tynes and wheel extendors . £50 each side from honda ???

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 15:31 »
Am I right in thinking that the tines (original ones) are made of hardened & tempered steel? Don't s'pose it'd be too diffucult to do this as I've access to heat sources :)

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 15:54 »
I think the origonal steel wont be EN1a bright. The OME seem to resist rusting so some special grade of steel will be used probly with a good bit of chrome in it, almost stainless. But I have made other tynes for more powerfull machines than this and they are OK. I was supprised how quick they polished up. So they will wear out faster but hey it will only cost me a tenner to make another set.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 08:24 »
This, on the other hand looks very useful!

This ended up going for £340 I think, still, would have been nice, what with that potato planting gizmo and all.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 22:27 »
The hex arrived today and I have made the wheel extensions. They will go to over 600mm between centers now.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 16:59 »
I have a vague plan to make some wheels for mine, since used sets go for a bomb on Ebay. If it's of interest, I've bought a workshop service manual from the states, if I can get it scanned I'll add it to the collection on here. There are one or two detail differences between the Euro and American-spec models but nothing drastic.

xx
Honda F400

Started by dalemellor on Equipment Shed

28 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 08:55
by Vit
xx
honda f400 oil

Started by scarecrow941 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 09:03
by Browser
xx
Honda F400 rotavator -advice please

Started by strudelpoodle on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 22:49
by Vit
exclamation
honda f400 rotovator with G35 model engine

Started by fryup23 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 17:41
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 33 queries.