Sorry- Tom blight question again

• 2 Replies

Oliveview

« on: June 07, 2008, 11:30 »
This morning I have gone through all the remaining tomato plants and cut off any leaf that had brown on (quite a lot still :cry: )  I am now left with very thin tomato plants.  They hae been sprayed by the neighbour with something for blight (don´t know what though)  Should I now give them a dose of Miracle Grow?  Can´t buy tomato feed here, just a general purpose feed.  
I have filled a big black bin bag with leaves just this morning :cry:  :cry:   Still, in the great scheme of things,  blight is nothing, just very annoying :(  Neighbours Aunty might have to have both legs amputated, now that is bad, blight is nothing really is it compared to that?
Pamela

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:08 »
As some one who loves Spain. One thing I never thought was that you would get blight problems, in what I always thought was a very dry country, in Summer there.

We had such a wet summer last year that our potatoes on the allotment literally turned to mush and it was impossible to dig out 'everything', which is the advice when there is blight.

One area we knew was not effected by this curse was a bed which runs alongside our neighbours plot, so that is where the potatoes went in. They are at the flowering stage now and we are keeping a daily watch.

Yesterday, I saw my neighbour planting out door tomatoes right along side of our potatoes, on his side of the fence.

I explained to him that it is not a good idea to plant tomatoes next to potatoes because of the risk with the transfer of diseases. He said 'I have planted them away, my potatoes are, over there' indicating a bed some  distance away'.

He continued planting tomatoes and left me wondering about my sanity.

I would like to send your friend's Aunt my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.    

My greenhouse tomatoes are long and thin. The ones outside are bushier, so perhaps the extra heat in the greenhouse has made the stalks grow. Both are the same variety and are flowering.

When the trusses appear is the time to feed them to make the fruit bigger.  

If my memory serves me right, then one teaspoon to the gallon of miracle grow. Twice a week. I think some 'pot ash' sprinkled on to the soil might help too.

No doubt if that is wrong some one will come along and correct me.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 17:48 »
I´m lucky compared to the neighbour along the track, he has had to dig up all his tom plants I noticed today-  2 weeks ago he had a lovely tomato bed, now nothing.  We had a very humid/wet May, it was the same last year, except it rained in April,  our next door neighbour got blight on his potato crop then and did not lift them out :shock:  
Next year I am going to be prepared and spray before the blight arrives (if it does again)  Last year was the first year they had had it here, so the neighbour said.
Pamela

xx
Blight Question

Started by Bricktop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2021, 18:22
by Subversive_plot
xx
another tomato blight question

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 09:04
by missmoneypenny
xx
Blight question - greenhouse

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 12:57
by Aidy
xx
Idiot blight question

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 17:04
by surbie100

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 35 queries.