Droppings - The Chicken Keeper's Guide

• 161 Replies

hillfooter

Re: 4. Poo - The Chicken Keeper's Guide
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2011, 09:19 »
I'm a little concerned about one of my two chicks.  :unsure: I had my only grown chicken, a hen, die a couple nights ago from what I'm fairly sure was coccidiosis. She had runny poo for a day or two and then she started straining and having darker blood in her stool, to sometimes only blood coming out.
My chicks didn't come in contact with her or her poo very much and are on medicated started.

I've got one girl who seems to be having poo that is a bit more watery than usual and some that are nearly all white. I'm pretty sure it's only one since I've seen the other poo a bunch today and they were all normal.

Here's some examples:

All watery, white

A little drier but can see the white ring around it.

This one is from yesterday. I thought it was probably caecal and when I cleaned it up I didn't see any red or blood, but it is unusual as compared to what they have been pooing.

Both chicks are acting fine and I've seen them eat and drink.
I have some stuff called Cocci-Rid which is 2.5% amprolium and I did give the chicks a little just in case.
I may just be a little paranoid after having lost my hen but I'm just trying to be cautious. Don't want to lose these girls too!

Thanks for any advice or help!

Hmmm! 2Mental note to self. Must remember not to read this site until after breakfast".
HF
Truth through science.

stoutfamily

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2011, 00:15 »
if they are on medicated feed you should never give them any other anti cocci medication as they won't work. Just keep an eye on her and if you do see cocci blood in her poo then stop her medicated feed get some organic chic crumb (this is not medicated) and then start treatment. Medicated feed does not stop them getting all types of cocci.

Ok thanks!

the roost

« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2011, 14:50 »
Just a thought...if your hens are on the medicated feed, but have been either eating lots of treats or free-ranging outside on lots of yummy grass etc. they will have been consuming less of the medicated feed and the protection it gives will have therefore been reduced! A change in their usual diet may also cause strange poos as well as drinking a lot of water in the warm weather we have been having.
So sorry to hear about your big hen, was she at point of lay? It is quite unusual for laying hens to get coccidiosis but you do need to be quite vigilant during the transition from the medicated feed to the layers non-medicated as they can be vulnerable to this horrid disease at this time.
Hope this helps and the rest of your flock are ok.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Broody poo
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2012, 15:53 »
Thought other members might be interested in a picture of broody poo!   :tongue2:

Have read quitre a bit about it so here is the real thing (good job the computer doesn't have smelly vision).   :lol:

This is off a Wyandotte Bantam so you can imagine a larger hens poop.

Aunt Sally could you attach this to your Poo Picture Topic please?
Broody 001 (671 x 503).jpg
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sliverus

• Meooowww
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2013, 03:12 »
I am so glad that someone has made this post. I found it really helpful! Fancy that, I actually searched "sick chicken poop" and pressed Images to get an idea of what I was looking at, ha ha  :lol: Lucky I found this post! I was so scared that my chick was terminally ill, but its just Ceacal! phew!  :blush:
allo allo! Australian 20 yr old Olivia 'ere ;) the proud owner of 2 beautiful leghorn/newhampshire chickens, Crookshanks and Kora. A pure bred 18 month yr old shiny black coated English staffy, Bonnie :D and 2 cheeky tabby cats, Chico (age 4) and Lilly (5yrs) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2013, 08:57 »
 :lol: :lol: glad they have helped  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2013, 09:35 »
That is huge ANHBUC  :ohmy:

I'll put it in the poo gallery.

ANHBUC

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2013, 10:36 »
That is huge ANHBUC  :ohmy:

I'll put it in the poo gallery.

Why thank you so muchley Aunty.  It is a good job you don't have "smellyvision" as the smell is as huge as the poo.   :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2013, 15:55 »
broody poops are very much like a terrier dog sized poop  :ohmy:

ANHBUC

« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2013, 15:58 »
broody poops are very much like a terrier dog sized poop  :ohmy:

Amazing as it is from my smallest broody bantam Dotty who only weighs around 750g 

lajuj

« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2013, 03:13 »
anty sally thanxs ,these are things i didnt know ....be blessed.

WilliamZX

« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2013, 19:31 »
I'm glad I read the poo page after I had dinner.

KayTee

« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2013, 16:49 »

Hi Aunty Sally - a new photo to add to your collection!
This is a photo of droppings from a chicken suffering from clostridium perfringens.  It is an intestinal infection (same family but not the same disease as botulism).  It can be caused by an impacted or sour crop, or by the chicken eating food that is off.  (Mouldy feed, rotten meat etc) 
Symptoms are weight loss, drinking excessive amounts of water, and diarrhea that consists of a lot of watery clear or white fluid, with small amounts of undigested seeds, greens etc.  The droppings have a strong, strange smell.  (Not horrible enough to make you gag, but different to normal droppings).
The photo is used courtesy of Nambroth, (from BackYardChickens).  My chicken had identical symptoms to hers, and I gave her the same treatment - a 10 day course of antibiotics (I used amoxicillin because it was all I had available), and probiotics to help restore the gut flora.  I honestly thought I would lose my girl, but thanks to seeing the photo and treatment ideas she's now doing great.  Chicken forums are such wonderful things!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2013, 17:26 »
Many thanks KayTee

small883

« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2014, 13:15 »
Hi
Thanks for posting this. I have a Suffolk Black Tail that has exactly the same symptoms and originally thought it was coccidiosis. My other two chicks don't have any symptoms. Please could you tell the dosage of the amoxicillin that you administered?
Many thanks, any help would be appreciated

Small883

xx
Spoilt for Choice - A guide to Chicken Breeds Part 1. Hybrids or Pure Breeds

Started by Foxy on Poultry FAQs and other Information

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 00:33
by Lindeggs
xx
chicken Vs egg

Started by babe on Poultry FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 14:07
by Yorkie
xx
DIY chicken coop guidance

Started by poultrygeist on Poultry FAQs and other Information

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 17:45
by ElioraImmanuel
xx
Plucking and Dressing a Chicken for Cooking - with pictures

Started by Bodger on Poultry FAQs and other Information

24 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 19:39
by matron

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 52 queries.