Flymo Contractor 19 Mower - Help Needed

• 27 Replies

Gwiz

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 14:35 »
It's so long since I worked on one, I wouldn't bet any money on the points set up at all! but I do, for some reason, seem to remember the flywheel being keyed.
Mind you, that might of only been on the few I worked on! I think the only engines I ever worked on that were just a tapered tight fit, were some Villiers.
HELLS BELLS, THAT'S GOTTA BE OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO! (sorry, didn't mean to shout, caps lock went on.)
I can't remember there being a stator plate, but I do know that some of the small engines did have them, and so you could ajust the timing slightly on elongated slots. :D

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 14:55 »
Hello Graham,

Yes, I seem to remember them having a position locating key...and..likewise, I only recall some Villiers without....or perhaps small JAP too.?

My ref to being a tight fit was merely just that..a tight fit...unlike B&S that generally go plink and jump off without great effort...

Seem to think JLO had a "hard" key.??...
...and also seem to think the points cam was part of the flywheel boss...???...no consequence...just trying to remember :?  :oops:

....as you say, a long time ago.....I generally think of my current gardening employ' as new...but then I have worked in it longer than I did the mowers.....when I stop and think about it... :shock:  :oops:  :wink:

"Dori"

.....Those slim Honda keys were always amusing...put them down and they would run and hide in the flywheel..... :shock:  :wink:

Gwiz

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 18:30 »
yep, now I think of it, those JLO's where very tight on the flywheel. I seem to remember making a special puller for them.
Your right about the honda keys, I stuill take of the flywheels sometimes, just to be able to clean out behind the flywheel. They are funny looking "offset" keys, made , as you imply , in steel. they can "dissapear" if you put them down next to anything magnetic. You then spend an hour looking on the floor for them, before the penny drops........... :roll:  :D

lordchris

Re: Flymo Contractor 19 Mower - Help Needed
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 20:52 »
Hi I ran a gardening service in the late 1980s and we had flymo contracters the orginal was light green oxtigan base with a kirby lawson engine ( 25/1 mix) and two wheels on the handles by far the best flymo ever made and I have had the lot . Later modles had a JLO engine (32/1 mix) and some had no wheels. Hope this helps
ps A kirby lawson engine has a cast alumium exaust as oposed to a normal tin one

Antoine

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 19:17 »
Hello Gwiz,

i came across these messages. I have got a JLO GT2. It always worked but last yearend it didn't give any spark. I would like to repair it and a manual would be helpfull. I think the ignition is broke. But how to check this i would like know. I got a new sparkplug with no succes.

Can you sen me a manual by mail? I hope to get some answers from that.

Thank,

Antoine

The netherlands

Ah, it sounds like a GT2.
I've got the manuals for that if you want a copy.
As for the switch on the handles,
you should have an electrical switch on one side, and just an air filter snorkle on the other. The best way to decide what way is "on" would be to remove the spark plug and test for a spark against the engine casing with the switch firstly in one position, and then the other.

farrell

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 18:36 »
Hello Gwiz

Do you still have the manual for the GT2?  I have just bought a second hand GT2-6 (JLO) and would love to get my hands on a manual. 

It was an impromtu purchase (been looking for a petrol hover for ages but this was purchased at a carboot sale this morning so no opportunity to do my research beforehand).  Was quite surprised to see how old it is but seems to be in good nick.  Deck in good condition.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Best wishes
Elaine

Gwiz

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 05:33 »
I will have a rummage around the cupboard tomorrow when I am in work. I don't recall seeing it for quite a while, but it still could be there. ;)

Antoine

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 18:36 »
I have got a flymomo GT@. Can you help meto get a manual.

This because it won't start any more. There is no spark on de sparkplug.

Thanks,

Antoine

Gwiz

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 05:29 »
I regret to say, that I no longer have the manual for this machine.
Sorry.

Antoine

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 15:53 »
Ah, it sounds like a GT2.
I've got the manuals for that if you want a copy.
As for the switch on the handles,
you should have an electrical switch on one side, and just an air filter snorkle on the other. The best way to decide what way is "on" would be to remove the spark plug and test for a spark against the engine casing with the switch firstly in one position, and then the other.

I have a GT2 2 stroke as well. It abruptly doesnt give any spark any more. Not even with a new sprak plug. May be if i can have a instructiemanual i can fix the problem.  Or do you have a suggestion how i can fix the problem?

Thanks, Antoine from Holland.

Gwiz

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 17:32 »
Hello Antoine,
I did have a good look for the manuals, but I'm sorry to say I do not have them anymore.
If your machine has a JLO engine, I would expect that the points or the condenser need to be looked at (cleaned or replaced )
I have not worked on these machines for quite a few years, but you will find the points under the flywheel.
If you remove the engine cowling, you will see the flywheel.
Undo the large nut on the top so that all of the thread is covered. If you give the nut a sharp tap with a copper hammer (so as to not damage the flywheel/nut or thread) you should find that the flywheel will become loose. It is keyed onto the tapered shaft by an off-set key. DO NOT LOSE THIS!! I would expect that they are difficult to find now.
You should now be looking at the points box, which used to have a spring clip holding the top on. Remove the top, and you should now see the points assembly, and the cam that opens and closes the points.
After all this time, I would expect that your points are either corroded, or the heel on the points has worn down so that you no longer have a gap. If this is the case, you should be able to clean the face of the points, re-set the gap to about 18thou, and reassemble the machine to check for a spark.
Let me know how you get on. :)

farrell

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 10:53 »
It is with some trepidation I type this message but I have just been trying to start up my GT2 (for the first time since purchase).  Have done all the usual things - put fresh petrol mix in, checked spark plug, primed the fuel, switched the ignition on - and nothing  :( . Is there anything else I should be doing? 

Thanking you for any help - sorry for such a basic question.

Kind regards
Elaine

Gwiz

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29 »
No, I think you are doing all you're supposed to be.
Try removing the spark plug and resting it on the cylinderhead. Give the rope a pull, and see if it's sparking. If not, try it with the switch turned "off"

xx
Flymo Petrol Mower

Started by Reagle07 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 19:59
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Flymo XL500 Mower - another one for Gwiz

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 12:24
by Gwiz
xx
Flymo mower suddenly vibrating!

Started by plum crumble on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 21:52
by plum crumble
xx
Flymo rotary petrol mower blade sharpening

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 18:39
by smud6ie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 33 queries.