Flymo Contractor 19 Mower - Help Needed

• 27 Replies

Kentishman2004

« on: April 27, 2008, 13:23 »
Hi, Just inherited a Flymo Contractor 19 mower and have very little info about it, apart from I was told is has a 2 stroke engine fitted.  Has anyone got some info on these? For starters really what fuel/oil mix do they use so I can see if it will run (apparently was last run a couple of years ago).

Thanks

Gwiz

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 15:30 »
blimey, it's quite a while since I saw one of these!
They used to be fitted with a JLO engine. I can't remember off the top of my head what the mix was, I think it might have been 33:1.
I think I saw an instruction book for one in my workshop when I was having a bit of a "tidy - up" a few months back.
I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can find it. I do seem to remember they used to be fitted with a "bing" carb, and a long air tube up to the top of the handles where they had a cartidge air filter. :)

if it hasn't been run for a while, chances are you will have to clean out the carb before you can get it going.

Kentishman2004

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 17:09 »
Thanks, Gwiz,   Yes that's the one with a remote air filter and long tube, any info you have on it would be useful. Silly question I know but can you still get any parts for them if I should need any?

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 17:34 »
I should think so, but as I said, I haven't seen one around for ages.

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 17:25 »
still looking for it, it's around there someplace. :D

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:49 »
is the engine brown, or silver?
there are twwo models, a GT2 and a GT4 ( 2 stroke and four stroke )
Ive found both instruction sheets.
I've got infor for the briggs engine (gt4) but nothing on the JLO 2 stroke

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:04 »
Hello Graham and "Kentishman2004",

I recall unpainted/silver JLO on GT2 and B&S 4stroke 4hp on GT4 with the wheel frame fitted.  
More recently than the GT4 there was GT4S which had Tecumseh 4stroke but had bank ability, unlike GT4, due to pump oil supply,  hopefully :wink: I don't think GT4 and GT4S had snorkel filter.?

Then more recently still the L50 model with Tecumseh..

With the ref being to Contractor 19 I wonder if this goes back further.??...I don't recall if JLO was used on a machine with this name..??..but it may have been??... perhaps with a hood prior to the ones with foot guard extension on the back.??

I do remember, back in my early YTS days, some light yellow hooded Flymo Contractors also a proscessed pea green coloured hood on some too ...as well as those with the blue hood.  Kirby Lawson/Aspera/Tecumseh..??..

Generally I think Flymo Tecumseh 2 strokes were 25:1 mix but had a spell 20ish years back at 50:1 but things went rattle rattle so a return to 25:1 was made....how that changed after I left the mower world 16 ish years ago I'm not sure.....

However, the more recent JLO was marked at 50:1 on the fuel caps/tanks

I recall also a few ex USA imported models with Tecumseh one year that were 33:1.

I'm not being a lot of help here. :oops: .....just reminiscing during a morning off.. :wink:

"Dori"

Kentishman2004

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 14:15 »
Hi Gwiz & Dorimower

The model I have has a silver engine, with what may have been white but now yellow fuel tank where you can see the fuel inside.  The actual deck is also not the usual Red/Orane colour but more of a yellow (suppose that could be down to age though).  The other thing is, what are the switch positions for on the handle as any marking on this one have long worn off.

Thanks

Kentishman2004

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 14:17 »
Opps!! Forgot to add in the last post that this is a hover mower - no wheels

Gwiz

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 17:09 »
Ah, it sounds like a GT2.
I've got the manuals for that if you want a copy.
As for the switch on the handles,
you should have an electrical switch on one side, and just an air filter snorkle on the other. The best way to decide what way is "on" would be to remove the spark plug and test for a spark against the engine casing with the switch firstly in one position, and then the other.

Kentishman2004

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 17:43 »
Thanks Graham,

That would be very useful to get hold of a manual it if you have one. And the only reason I questioned about the switch, is that seems to have 3 positions on this one rather than just a straightforward on/off (ok I suppose it could be the switch is very well worn though).  Will give it a go in all the positions an see which one produces a spark.

Andy

pk

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 16:54 »
Hi

Whilst searching for info on a flymo I was given I came across queries and replies from kentishman and gwiz.  The model I have is GT2-4.  When I queried with the flymo people I was advised that it had a JLO engine , which was made in germany and they used for a little while.

Mix is 25/1 as embossed on the tank, and the plug gap and points gap are .05 and .04 mm respectively, acording to the flymo chap.

My problem is I forgot to ask about the timing, I have the mower running but the timing is obviously wrong .

Can you help?

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 18:02 »
Seem to think the contact set JLO models had Bosch ignition similar to used on Stihl 08s and on MAG engines.?

I am sorry I don't have any reference for the timing....the positioning of the stator plate.  If you ever have to remove a stator plate it is a good plan to scribe a line from plate to block to assist its refiting...assuming that it was in a correct position previously.:wink:
  I suppose best you can hope, if figures are not forthcoming, is that there is such a scribe or punch mark.?..which I feel there may just be from original set up.?..tell tale marks from screws/washers may also help in absence of figures.
 I also seem to recall that points setting was by ref to flywheel timing marks rather than a definite gap.??...but if you do have a definite gap given by Flymo agent and if there are timing marks on the flywheel, possibly tdc and also a line ref firing, then you may be able to all this in reverse...by setting points ref the cam then setting stator reference to points just starting to open to tally with the firing mark on flywheel...I just about tally with what I mean but I'm finding it hard to put into type :?  :wink:  
 ...however, I add that all this is a long while ago now and I have been to sleep since. :wink:

Later JLO had electronic module ignition and as mentioned before 50:1 mix is stated on later filler/tanks...

Thank you for your info re the 25:1 mix as on the tanks of older models..I did seem to think JLO were good at annotating their tanks :)

"Dori"

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 12:49 »
Hi chaps.
sorry I've not replied earlier, I have been on my hols.
The JLO's timing is set as most of these things are, on a keyed flywheel. If the timing is out, it will not normally start at all, but if isn't running too well it may be because the blade has hit something solid and sheered the key, making the timing slip just a fraction. I would look for this problem first.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 13:35 »
Hello Graham,

Do you recall if the ignition items on older contact set JLO is direct fit to the block or onto a stator plate and thence to block.??....hence my thinking of working backwards from knowing a contact set gap.  This method would not work though and not be needed if the items were in a fixed position mounted direct to block.
I was thinking that the reference to timing being out was perhaps due to a stator plate having been easily removed without thought to its later refiting..if it is indeed on adjustable mounting slots.???

The key for location of a flywheel is indeed critical though.

I seem to remember that the JLO flywheels were a good tight fit...I won't  add the word that a colleague used to insist on adding at the end of such a statement :shock:  :oops:  ....but anyway, needing a good and correct puller to draw them..

I also seem to recall that older Flymos used to suffer from blocked exhausts/exhaust ports..which can lead to poor "strangled" running...start up well but run strangled as they can't expel the exhaust.

"Dori"

xx
Flymo Petrol Mower

Started by Reagle07 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 19:59
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Flymo XL500 Mower - another one for Gwiz

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 12:24
by Gwiz
xx
Flymo mower suddenly vibrating!

Started by plum crumble on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 21:52
by plum crumble
xx
Flymo rotary petrol mower blade sharpening

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 18:39
by smud6ie

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 32 queries.