Pallets and their uses

• 15 Replies

SamanthaGodley

Pallets and their uses
« on: February 22, 2008, 18:30 »
Hey Guys and Gals,

I have some pallets that work have been saving for me to make into a compost bin, as well as other things.  Am I best leaving the wood untreated?
One of them is painted blue, can I still use this, do I need to sand it down to get rid of the paint?

I have no idea what I am doing - does it show :oops:  :?:

Help please?  

Thanks

Sam
Samantha Godley

jack russell

Pallets and their uses
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 18:55 »
Hiya It is a personal preference about treating the wood or not it is not really necessary and regarding sanding the blue pallet :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  have you got more time on your hands than you know what to do with :lol: if you want a nice looking bin then use the blue timbers for the back of the box,  they should out of the way there.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Pallets and their uses
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 19:09 »
Re the blue pallet - has it just been painted by a previous pallet owner or is it one of the one's that's marked with a company name?

if it's the latter then you could find yourself in trouble with the company that owns them:  Shaun has posted a couple of times on this to say that the company prosecute if their pallets are taken..  :shock:

good luck with your projects though - there's posts on this site as well on how to dismantle them if you need any advice.  Can we have piccies when you're done?  we're nosey like that!  :lol:

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Pallets and their uses
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 19:26 »
Our town council provide pallets for anyone to take when they need... they just dump them at the top of the  allotment..... most of them are the blue variety.... :?

I'm too scared to take any!! :oops:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

SamanthaGodley

Pallets and their uses
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 19:33 »
Not that much spare time, was seriously hoping you would say I wouldn't need to sand the blue one.  I am new to all this and have no idea what I am doing - my fiance used to know what to do but he died just before Christmas. :cry:

I'll check about a company stamp on it.  Piccies to follow - watch this space.

Also planning to use them to make raised beds and a wood store for my canes, stakes etc..............thats the plan who knows if I will get that far. :roll:

noshed

Pallets and their uses
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 22:37 »
Pallets are endlessly useful - don't worry about treating them or sanding them. You can always get more.
The blue ones are more valuable but if work are saving one for you I wouldn't worry.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

compostqueen

Pallets and their uses
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:25 »
I'd use it and not worry. You didn't nick it! The blue pallet Co can't spend all their time tracking down errant pallets  :D  

I use mine for decking in front of my shed too. Painted willow green to match my shed. Very nice :D

Four of the same sized ones screwed together make a decent compo pin.  I put the big stuff in mine - thuggish stuff like cabbages stalks etc

I also have decking pallets behind my shed where I lay lengths of wood etc, it keeps them off the ground so hopefully they won't rot before I get chance to turn them into raised beds or sommat

muntjac

Pallets and their uses
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:04 »
use thm up no matter what colour  :wink:
chech these posts on what to do with them and othere helpful tips  :wink:  :D

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/search.php?mode=results
still alive /............

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
Pallets and their uses
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 16:32 »
there's loads of things you can do with pallets  :D

i'm no expert but i can throw things together ok, couple of bit n bobs i've made out of them on these links  :wink:

pallet gate

pallet compost bin

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Pallets and their uses
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 19:46 »
did u use nails or screws for the gate dave? very impressed i have to say well done :D

dare u to make a shed out of one ;)

shaun

Pallets and their uses
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 20:18 »
ive never said owt about blue pallets  :roll: just use em
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Pallets and their uses
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 21:00 »
Really?.... could have sworn it was you!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
Pallets and their uses
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 21:33 »
Rampant_Weasel  . . . . . . . . the pallet shed plans are already under way lol  :D

i've got about 60 pallets and out of them i've got 22 perfect 3ft x 3ft ones just waiting, all
 flat packed, in the garden, soon as i get hold of some slotted or drilled angle
iron construction will start  :D

12 x 9 shed with an apex roof is the idea, will be doing pic's from start to finish so watch this space lol  :shock:

edit: sorry forgot to say  . . . . .  used screws for the gate, just prefer them to nailing it thats all in case it ever needs a repair here or there, like if someone decides to swing off it or owt lol

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Pallets and their uses
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 22:07 »
good man thanks :D
i have an old shed in my garden and its built with a good strong frame and that lapping wood on it.its about 20 years old and nowt wrong with it apart from new felt now and again.
in comparison someone gave me a shed that had been broken into, just needed  a few repairs.however u can see the diff in quality - it was basically real thin wood stapled together! i had to brace all the sides to stop it wobbling.this got me thinking and looking at how i could build one myself.basically its 4 frames and a roof frame with panels ( pallet wood ideal) to cover - strong as an ox and save u ££££`s.its funny how easy it would be to build something ( with a little thought b4hand) that costs hundreds from a shop and is very poor quality.
i would be interested to see photos of the shed build as u build it if u have time :wink:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
Pallets and their uses
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 23:11 »
not a problem, think i'll do it as one big post rather than bit by bit.

am on the lookout for fabricated steel angle at the mo like i say cos thats gonna be the basics of the frame, solid as a rock and if need be some of the pallet panels can be nut n bolted to it.

the way i see it in my head, once its up n treated with a felt roof on you wont see mush difference between that n a bought shed and at 12 x 9, to buy one'd be runnin into hundreds literally and this woods way better quality, i now drool when i see piles of pallets lol !  :tongue2:

yes, sad i know lol  :roll:

xx
pallets pallets MORE blooming

Started by muntjac on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 08:51
by Selkie
xx
I got some Pallets!

Started by Duracell on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 18:17
by bluealf
xx
Uses for pallets

Started by fluffypebble on Design and Construction

21 Replies
Last post July 31, 2007, 01:30
by leeky
xx
separating pallets

Started by crowndale on Design and Construction

24 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 22:22
by apywell

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 36 queries.