Choosing colour for emulsion paint.

• 31 Replies

wighty

Re: Choosing colour for emulsion paint.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 20:27 »
I know of at least 16 versions of 'magnolia'.   We only ever mix BSo8B15 which is the British Standard one, Crown  has four versions and Dulux another couple.  I deal with paint all day which is why I can talk about it.
Crown has just acquired Farrow and Ball, we understand so our  range is going to go up market.!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 23:27 »
Hempel the company that own Crown have bought F&B, as well... they already colour-matched most of F&B's colours, so don't suppose it will make much difference  :lol: :lol:

https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/denmarks-hempel-to-acquire-farrow-ball--7920904.html

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2021, 20:17 »
Having lived in rented accommodation for over 20 years, all being painted magnolia (except one which was pink and brown  :ohmy: ), I knew that when I bought my own place it wouldn't have anything called magnolia in it!

Yes, there's lots of neutral shades, but none magnolia  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 16:25 »
For donkeys years always had dulux "natural calico".   Easy now, "WHITE"  no cutting in, no choices, simples. LOL,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 16:50 »
Ah yes, THAT's what I've got in the hallway!

Goosegirl

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 12:49 »
Having nearly gone through my whole supply of cream printing cards to use the tester paint on, blue-tacked them all over the walls and looked at them in both natural and ordinary bulb lighting to see how they changed, chucked some out, repositioned the rest then tried a couple of mixes and put them up as well, we're going to give it a rest for a while as our brains hurt!  :nowink: :blush: ??? :unsure: :wub: :wacko:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 13:05 »
You're dead right about bulb colouring...

I used to be able to get a soft pink/beige bulb which was fabuolous against a magnolia wall, but now they're all the new ultra-expensive-super-green-planetstuff-things, they're gone for good!

We have just one left!

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 13:11 »
Mmmm. OH has just been looking on-line for a light bulb that doesn't make everything look grey-ish. He's now back in the kitchen making a Dundee cake so I guess he gave up.  :unsure:

grinling

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 17:10 »
led comes in blue for cool or yellow for warm.
Hubby went on dulux site as over 1200 colours, he goes to Homebase and has colour made up, you can also take an item and they can scan it.

wighty

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 18:36 »
Grinling    your paint supplier must be super rich, we have been offered a 'colouriser analysis machine', £15,000 at cost to us.

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 07:24 »
Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to pop down to Travis Perkins, get them to do it, and charge the customer a few more bob, Wighty?

;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2021, 14:24 »
After trying out all the greens and creams we went onto yellows and have finally narrowed it down to two. OH has bought some warm light dimmer bulbs so we'll see what they're like in that light. One looks a tad garish in daylight but ok in our current artificial light; the other looks nice in daylight but not quite sure with the lights on. Watch this space!  :)

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2021, 17:59 »
One looks a tad garish in daylight but ok in our current artificial light; the other looks nice in daylight but not quite sure with the lights on. Watch this space!  :)

I'm sure you look lovely in any kind of light Goosey, and so does your OH!

(Noticed the Queen's presumptive possessional idiom - you really are Royalty aren't you)!

[edited to fix quote formatting]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 21:01 by Yorkie »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 18:38 »
The more ridiculous the name the trendier the colour.

Wouldn't it make sense to require paint names to also come with color hue, value and chroma numbers? Similar to a Munsell color chart? That way you could determine if "mint sunset" sold by one company is the same or different from "daiquiri dream" sold by a different paint company.  Probably makes too much sense.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2021, 12:03 »
It would make more sense but those kind of things seem to bypass a lot of people these days especially managers. I defy anyone to tell the difference between some colours produced by different manufacturers so then it comes down to the quality of the paint itself which, as far as I'm concerned, is important as no way am I going to buy anything cheap even if I am not royalty as Mr Growster kindly purported.

xx
Advice on choosing appliances.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2023, 17:46
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 53 queries.