How much do you prune your tomato plants?

• 2 Replies

ImogenM

• The Opposite of Indifference
How much do you prune your tomato plants?
« on: August 16, 2021, 17:20 »
I'm in my second year of growing tomatoes in pots and am unsure of how much to prune the leaves of the tomatoes - advice seems to vary so would love your opinions. I've been removing any side shoots and trimming any leaves which touch the ground but generally leaving most of the leaves, but then today when out and about I saw a really healthy looking plant with loads of tomatoes but barely a leaf left! How much do you remove - hardly any, loads or somewhere in between?

goose

• Experienced Member
Re: How much do you prune your tomato plants?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 18:00 »
im no expert, but i remove lower leaves when im waiting for the toms to ripen to increase ventilation, also a few more higher up if i feel they are being crowded out by too much foliage at this ripening stage.  im not sure if thats correct, but what ive always done ::)

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
Re: How much do you prune your tomato plants?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 13:06 »
Same here, no expert and learning all the time, I make sure the bottom leaves are gone so no splash back or none touching the soil. this year I have thinned the leaves more than I normally would and I'm getting a good crop, I'm trying to balance what I see my neighbour doing (no leaves and plenty tomatoes) with leaving leaves and having plenty tomatoes. I guess it's like eveything in life, a fine balance, leave enough leaves for the plant to be healthy but not enough to take away from the fruit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 13:07 by KalisDad »
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

xx
How do I prune new blackcurrant plants

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2022, 20:44
by Nobbie
xx
Do I need to prune the potato plants

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2023, 16:17
by Grubbypaws
xx
Hazelnut care. To prune or not to prune?

Started by louisemasters on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2021, 18:55
by Yorkie
xx
Tomato Plants

Started by Jaye on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:36
by Jaye

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 37 queries.