Horsetail

• 23 Replies

Chris Anderson

Horsetail
« on: July 16, 2021, 13:17 »
Last year we had some local manure delivered and it seems to have introduced horsetail to our raised beds, and it is creating havoc. Our potatoes have been choked and it is spreading like wildfire. We don't use pesticides and try to stay organic.Any help or advice please, as the weed is spreading. I've pulled out lots, but read it has a very long tap root.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Horsetail
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 15:59 »
Keep pulling it out “Never let it see a Sunday”.

It’s been with us since the dinosaurs and its roots can go down 2 metres.   It likes poor soil, so add plenty of organic material to open it up.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 22:09 »
It also creeps underground and like bindweed, if any breaks off a new shoot grows.
It also produces spores in Feb/March time, just a small tip is above the soil surface.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 22:18 »
A possible method of eradicating Mare's tail (although I haven't tried it myself) is to crush the mare's tail leaves but leave the plant otherwise undisturbed and submerge the crushed leaves in a solution of a systemic weedkiller holding the leaves in the solution with a suitable weight.  Good luck if you decide to follow this up.  Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 13:55 »
Before we moved last year I had quite a bit in various places which was difficult to get rid of but our new home is absolutely rife with it! I dug loads out but it soon developed into a forest and even comes up between the mortar in the paving outside. :mad: There is no way of even minimising it so I resorted to a chemical approach and found some stuff that really works a treat. It is a very difficult decision to make when you don't want to use herbicides so maybe just see how you go with it for now.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 14:17 »
While I applaud anyone who tries to garden organically, and without using stuff which has 'harmful' side effects and 'may' harm nature, the answer really has to be, 'do you want to just eat stuff from the supermarket, which has been chemically sprayed, or do you want to be unable to grow anything because you're swamped with such an evil plant'?

There are far too many banned substances around now, and as we're out of the dreaded EU, we can make up our own minds now. No more 'thought police' from Brussels thank you very much!

As far as I know, normal gardeners on the continent take hardly any notice of regulations over there, and my collection of Bordeaux mixture is still safe in the shed - maybe labelled 'Blue rinse'...

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 18:22 »
We were plagued with it at the plot.  We sifted every bit of soil mainly to get rid of broken glass, nails etc.  It disappeared for a few years, but last year it showed up again.
I just dig it out when it appears. 
I find, unlike bindweed, that stuff can grow next to it.  It is just a nuisance we have to put up with.
A plot neighbour spent a fortune on a professionals only chemical treatment,  but it didn't work.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:38 by AnneB »

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 09:31 »
Last year we had some local manure delivered and it seems to have introduced horsetail to our raised beds, and it is creating havoc. Our potatoes have been choked and it is spreading like wildfire. We don't use pesticides and try to stay organic.Any help or advice please, as the weed is spreading. I've pulled out lots, but read it has a very long tap root.
We have some horsetail on the croft. We have never taken specific measures to remove it but it is very noticeable that it only grows in certain areas. It likes the top of the hill where the weather is worst & leaching means that nitrogen is lowest. It dislikes the areas that are most tilled and manured.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 18:38 »
If you can boil a kettle of water near enough to some of it, trickle boiling water down the stems so that it gets to the roots. Cheap, helps and sure as heck makes you feel better. But won't go far on a large area.  :nowink:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 17:14 »
Keep pulling it out “Never let it see a Sunday”.

It’s been with us since the dinosaurs and its roots can go down 2 metres.   It likes poor soil, so add plenty of organic material to open it up.

. . . Actually even older.  I have fossils of horsetails that are from the Carboniferous, which I collected in Alabama.  There were trilobites in the oceans then, no dinosaurs yet! 

Having collections of fossils (and minerals, and rocks) is a symptom of being a geologist.  Unfortunately (for Mrs. Subversive), there is no cure.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 06:31 »
I've long had a theory, that with hideous plants like horsetail, bindweed etc, some enterprising weed-killer manufacturer should 'invent' a method of getting rid of the pests by designing some sort of 'clamp' rather like a ladies' clutch comb for long hair, (sorry ladies, it's not meant to hurt YOU), maybe a bulldog clip style, which grips the stem, delivers the killer potion and sees off the menace!

I tried to kill off the brambles which infest our hedges with neat Roundup, appled to a part of the bramble after squeezing and crushing the stems with a pair of pliers. It sort of worked, but they came back again a year later, so maybe a repeat performance is needed...

Probably a method which is too labour-intensive on a larger area though...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 08:56 »
It's curious . . .

Our horsetail around here does not seem to be all that invasive.  Maybe it's a different species? Or just doesn't become invasive in this climate?

I've seen it grown in at least 3 different locations as an ornamental. One at the University of Georgia, one at the Atlanta Botanical Garden (outside the Fuqua Orchid Center), one outside an Atlanta restaurant. All plantings apparently to display the architectural foliage of the reed-like fertile stems.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:01 by Subversive_plot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 11:24 »
It's curious . . .
Our horsetail around here does not seem to be all that invasive.  Maybe it's a different species?

There are a couple of cultivated versions here in the UK SP.  They are mainly used as marginal pond plants and are quite attractive with reed like leaves in stripy green and black.

The wild weed one is just green and more a tuft of fine leaves.
Unknown.jpeg

Welsh Merf

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 13:52 »
Is somebody trying to wind me up, talking about horse/mares tail?  ;)

I have enough on my plot to construct a small cabin!

I have assiduously dug everything by fork only, removing even the smallest bit of "The Weed of Satan" as I went along. Yesterday I harvested half of my radish, hoed and raked the ground ready for some lettuce, and when I went there this morning, that half was sprouting with mares tail. Someone on the allotment told me that the only real way of stopping them, short of an atomic blast, is to keep moving the ground, i.e. digging, forking, hoeing, etc.

However, I have made some observations of my own, but I don't know if I'm actually right, or inwardly trying to persuade myself that I am. Mares tail are lazy. They don't like competition. I had tall weedy grass on the plot when I took it over, and no sign of mares tail. But when I weed-killed the grass and burnt it, the mares tail came flying through over a single weekend. And I also notice that they tend to grow right next to a plant, using the plant to push a way through the soil for them. Maybe I'm just dreaming.
20210603_144602.jpg
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 20:06 »
Its invaded parts of our plot. We put down plastic then sieved soil into raised beds. Lovely soil but still got mairstail. Pull out ok, just hope that once pulled out this year will be free of it in those beds. Use weedkiller on paths and boundaries and you have to get the timing right, pull up in other areas and have tried cardboard with manure a la no dig on a couple of beds. Had same problem of infected manure first time but notice seems reduced this year. If i can get more cardboard Im going to repeat again. I won't win as it is inbetween established rhubarb, rasberries ans shrubs but I thought it liked wet, clay soil so working on improving drainage and digging. May try making a tea from it to get some use out of it but at the mo only have time for comfry tea.

xx
horsetail

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 22:32
by Sparkyrog
xx
Horsetail

Started by M0rph3u5 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 12:40
by M0rph3u5
sad
horsetail

Started by paul sadler on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 12:10
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Horsetail

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:35
by Kristen

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 50 queries.