Right to see documents

• 4 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Right to see documents
« on: July 07, 2021, 21:03 »
Hi all,

Just another management problem. I’ve asked the secretary of our allotment management committee to see the insurance schedule as I’d like to know exactly what we’re covered for. They are refusing.

Can they legally withhold this information, when I’m a paid-up plot-holder?

Would be grateful for any advice.
I don't really look like my avatar.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Right to see documents
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 08:48 »
As you have been advised on your other thread, I would refer this to the council.  It is another example of poor management that you can add to your list.

They may only be the landlords but they do still own the allotments and have ultimate say over what goes on.  If you couch your enquiry in terms of ‘As a responsible plot holder I need to know what our insurance covers so I can ensure I am not risking ….’

Try and keep it civil and calm and while posts encouraging confrontation and even physical responses might be amusing, it can just as easily backfire.  You can end up in the wrong the minute you lose control and start shouting and come across as no better than the bullies.

I know it is a difficult thing to hear, but there are 2 sides to every story.  This pair of bullies may well be being egged on and encouraged by others (the chair for one) or they might not realise the impact they are having and genuinely believe they are doing the right thing.  Is there any way to get together as a group and speak to them somewhere neutral and see if they are as bad as you think.  If not, I suggest everyone that is unhappy complains to the council so they get a mass of emails in one go.  That should spark something, even if it just a warning to those involved.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 13:03 »
Thanks - already referred to the council, who say it’s not their call.

I’m cool and calm in all my dealings with these people. And they’re not reasonable. I asked about our insurance policy in the FB group they’ve set up for our site and was immediately blocked from it.

jezza

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 17:54 »
Hello if it's the public liability/employees /equipment insurance  the certificate  should be on public display,with contact details of who to contact in case it's ever needed,if you have designated people using equipment eg strimmers,hedge cutters they should be named as such  jezza

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 18:27 »
Thanks very much, that’s really helpful, Jezza.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 40 queries.