Supporting the locals

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

Supporting the locals
« on: March 10, 2021, 16:52 »
Tried - went to one shop for 5 things, didn't have any of them.   Second, something I always get there, didnt have them.   Third shop - no luck, gave up and came home.  None of the things were out of the ordinary, just daily things   ::) ::)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wighty

Re: Supporting the locals
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 19:23 »
We're an independant shop so to try and give the story from the 'other side', we have had problems with getting stock.  The manufacturing arms of a lot of companies shut down during the first shut down and had restricted operations during the other two.  We have always come second place to the 'sheds' (B&Q, Wicks etc). For the last year we have asked for what we would like but just have to accept what they send us. I hope things all level out again soon.

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 19:32 »
My local shop has been amazing over this last year, he has kept us supplied with everything we needed even if quantity and choice was sometimes limited. 

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 17:47 »
We haven't had much problem getting things from our local shops toilet rolls and kitchen towels where in short supply for a time  we have a quite a few local shops a local butchers shop a co-op costcutters a  home baked bread shop a delicatessen and a fish and chip shop

we shop local as much as possible and use farm shops I'm  a great believer in buying British  :)

Christine

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 09:49 »
It's a small village here. We do have a corner shop which is fine for bread, milk, sweeties, biscuits, cans of pop, beer and spirits but not a lot else. Doesn't help itself that the people behind the counter are thought to be surly and unfriendly.

Most people hop on the round the villages bus or into the car and go along the road to the next village to the Spar and the independent greengrocer. Now that there is an Aldi/B&M within easy driving distance (about 5 minutes) this village shop is likely to be a dying concern.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 11:57 »
The shop where I wanted the most things is a Trashco Local  :lol:    Actually in the Village we have the Shop/post office, which is now village co-owned and run by volunteers.   It is not bad although expensive but no fresh veg etc    Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 18:15 »
Our local pub, when it had to close down, started a shop in the bar, which opens for four days a week, and sells basics, plus several local suppliers' cheeses etc!

Most of the stuff is local, and they can sell decent cider and beer as well!

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 09:01 »
Mothering Sunday cream tea from village bakery just arrived.  Sandwiches, scone, cream, jam, sausage rolls and cakes.  They would usually do gorgeous breakfast, stunning lunch and cream tea in their tiny restaurant but this year it's take away lunch and cream tea only.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 42 queries.