Onions during WW2...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Onions during WW2...
« on: March 01, 2021, 07:24 »
We were watching an episode of 'Foyle's War' the other evening, and a side-story was the police station raffle! The first prize was an onion, and Sam says to the desk sergeant that she hadn't seen one since before the war, and could she just sniff it for a treat!

We thought that there were always plenty of onions about in those dark days, and C.H.Middleton often refers to them throughout his wartime broadcasts! He also spells broccoli as 'calabresse', but as we've just started our PSB, we'll forgive him for that, but the TV people should have looked into this little snippet before giving Sam palpitations, (or me for that matter..;0)

(There was an episode of 'Dad's army', where Hodges was raffling an orange, but they were in short supply)!

Any other shortages...?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Onions during WW2...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:05 »
Growster, apparently they were rare at the beginning, unless you had a space to grow your own.
https://thewartimekitchen.com/?p=238#:~:text=What%20contributed%20to%20the%20sudden,except%20on%20the%20larger%20estates.
I seem to remember mum growing a lot of bunching/sping onions (possibly perennial?) onions to use instead - but this would be a few years after the war the ended.

I can still remember sweets, especially chocolate, being like gold dust, and getting an orange in my Christmas stocking, was still a treat  :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:21 »
Middleton does imply that, Mum, and says that one normally got whatever seed was available. He also recommended sharing 'an ounce' between friends, as that's quite a lot of onion seed! He also advocated putting an onion with a wedge of cheese popped inside, in the oven, opening all the windows, and getting the passers-by to drool all the way home... I'm up for that!

But onions were apparently available but in limited supply of varieties!

I can easily remember sweets coming off ration, as my sister ran up to the village shop, and came back with a yard of licorice skipping rope!

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 09:28 »
My aunt was given some onions as a birthday present in the early 1940s.  They were in short supply and from then on every birthday present was compared to the onions.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 09:50 »
I wasn't around in the war years I became  my parents pride and joy I think  ::) 2 years after but i remember my Dad saying many people who had allotments or back gardens grew veg including onions and as its said bread and chees with an onion and a pint of good beer was a favourite for many people

and i suppose we had the advantage being in a village and having ground to grow veg than those in the cities that's when  allotments where i believe at there peek and onions being one of the main winter veg i suspect there where many an onion strung up in the garden shed or pantry in those dark years

jezza

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 16:01 »
Hello I know they aren't war time,some onions a mate gave me the biggest one is 1 1/2 pounds      jezza
20201003_141952.jpg

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 17:50 »
and i thought our onions where good but you've put me to shame Jezza they look lovely but better in a pan with a piece of steak :D

jezza

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 11:02 »
Hello just started to use that big onion, only needed quarter of it to make stuffing for dinner,it had another brown skin half way through any one else had this with onions, jezza

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 11:26 »
Yes, some of mine did this last year.
My theory was that they made an early 'outside layer' because of the drought, and then the rains finally came and they grew some more layers before drying again in early autumn.

xx
Onions

Started by johnjsdb on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post April 17, 2022, 01:09
by johnjsdb
xx
sweet onions

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2019, 20:23
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 44 queries.