Tool storage space shelving, design and build

• 3 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Tool storage space shelving, design and build
« on: February 28, 2021, 01:10 »
I posted about the start of this project in the "Grow your own/what I did on the plot today 2021" thread https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=133988.15 on February 1, 6, and 17, promising I would follow up here. I needed to convert a very poorly organized and dilapidated outdoor storage closet (for garden and other tools] into a space that will maximize storage in a long narrow room.  I also needed to work the design around two windows, make shelving of different heights to accommodate readily available plastic storage totes.  Finally, I had some old, but very sound and solid structural lumber (what we call two-by-fours here, our most common building dimension; might be different over there?). I wanted to keep materials costs down, so I wanted to use as much of that lumber as possible, including some 16-foot long pieces I could just barely get into the room.

The link above shows the state of construction of the shelving through February 17. Attached is a photo showing what the shelving looks like now, still not quite complete.

I am hoping to finish the shelving tomorrow, including laying down plywood shelf boards and anchoring it to wall studs to prevent shifting or tipping.

The room will also have pegboard for organizing tools, and I'm constructing a bin for long- handled garden tools.
IMG_20210227_140337446.jpg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:35 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

Re: Tool storage space shelving, design and build
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 06:43 »
Great way to optimise spare space! I could fill all those with all the stuff in our attic, but am making a rule to bring down and chuck one item every time I go up there...

2 x 4 is a standard size here, and elfunsaftee says that every edge has to be slightly rounded - almost machined, to prevent splinters etc...

(I can just imagine what Ted, our roofing carpenter many years ago, would have said about that)!

Good project you have there, SP!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 10:58 »
Very impressive!

Make sure that the plastic storage boxes aren't wider than the passageway that you've got ...   :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 11:20 »
Very impressive!

Make sure that the plastic storage boxes aren't wider than the passageway that you've got ...   :ohmy:

Yes, the aisle space will be wider than the largest boxes. Checked that probably 10 times! :D:lol:
The shelf unit is 19 inches deep. The room is 43 inches wide. The big boxes will mostly be on the floor, slid in and out to get an item or two, then pushed back in.

clip
Project: Plant Stand to Tool Rack Re-build

Started by Subversive_plot on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2021, 04:00
by Subversive_plot
xx
Advice on tool storage box required

Started by mushroom on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post November 09, 2007, 01:23
by mushroom
xx
New bike shed/ tool shed build

Started by Aidy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 20:12
by Dopey113
xx
Greenhouse shelving - where to get it from?

Started by Sweetpea C on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 08:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 40 queries.