Adjoining Plot Width Advice

• 10 Replies

VWilko411

Adjoining Plot Width Advice
« on: February 17, 2021, 22:26 »
Hi Everyone

Newbie here.  Got our 1/2 plot July 19 and in the midst of transforming a very run down, weedy, overgrown plot into something.  Had a decent first year but now redesigning.

So, we have a back plot with a path either side, 1 path is not technically meant for us the other is ours.  However due to the state (putting it mildly) of said access path (& owners plot) we’ve been using the 1 not meant for us (plot holders permission).  But we’ve thought why should we not be using our right of way?  Our council have been useless!  Are there any rules on how wide the access path to your plot should be? It’s not in our terms.  If I just say we can’t get a wheelbarrow through & hubby has to turn sideways at time to avoid ripping the poly tunnel that’s encroaching the path .....

Please don’t suggest we ask them politely .....  nobody has seen them for 4yrs!!!!

Thanks in advance

AndyRVTR

Re: Adjoining Plot Width Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 09:05 »
Hi and welcome..  when you say the council have been useless.. what have they actually said?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:15 »
I'm not sure how your allotments are set up, but ours share responsibility for the paths around our plots. Some old timers making sure they only ever mow half of each path, but that's folk  :nowink: I suppose because of the way the T&Cs are worded.
3.12 Plot pathways
All paths between allotments must be no less 0.5m and should be wide
enough for easy pedestrian access to neighbouring tenants’ plots. They must be
maintained in a safe condition, kept cut and clipped up to the nearest half width
by each adjoining tenant; paths must be kept clear of obstructions at all times.

The only paths that are the sole responsibility of the plot holder are any he chooses to have to sub-divide the plot. So I'd suggest that if you want that path cleared, the easiest option would be clear and mow it yourself.
If nobody has seen the plot holder for 4 years, so it really is uncultivated (not just someone not using it during Covid, then report it in writing to the council as they almost certainly have a waiting list.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:43 »
I would agree with what Mum  has said and if the council is run properly then they should be contacting the plot holder to discuss if they wish to continue using the plot as with our allotments the terms and conditions  state that the plot should be cultivated for growing veg each year and the same should apply to most allotments T&C'S

my Daughter was contacted last year by the allotment committee to ask her if she still wanted her plot as she was a bit late starting cultivation she pointed out that was a bit late starting because my son in law  had contracted covid there where a few red faces from the committee  the when she explained the reason why she was late starting the allotment plot :ohmy:

so your dilemma what to do as Mum said write to the council ask them if the plot has been paid for this year and if so will the people who have paid there  rent  be cultivated as its been left uncultivated and could it not be offered to someone who is waiting for an allotment? a no brainer me thinks  >:(

as far as the paths concerned I'm not sure if there's any requirement for path widths on the allotments for safety reasons for the use of access to each plot mite be worth looking into that if the council have a plan of the allotments like we do because if the paths where not in compliance with such then that would leave the council open to non conformance and may result in a claim if someone was to injure themselves  because the path did not conform to there T&C'S of the allotments plan you could also ask the clerk should there be one or that department of the council dealing with allotments  to show you the allotments plan and point out where your referring to on the plan also they should have a record of who's paid for that plot if indeed its been paid for?

i find it a bit lackadaisical of the council not to have appointed someone on the council to oversee the
allotments with periodic checks obviously someone needs to get there act together on that council a few new appointments on your council would not seem out of place  >:(

i suggest you put pen to paper ASAP to the council but before that ring the council ask who you should refer this matter to and keep a copy of the letter sent i hope this advise helps you to resolve the present situation

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 20:09 »
As you'll have gathered from the variety of responses, there are no hard and fast rules, apart from whatever might be in the tenancy agreement (if anything).

For rear plots, we tend to find that access paths are probably 2' wide - no more than 3'.  But it's just a bit of give and take.  If nobody is gardening the plot where your access path is, then I would just go for it anyway.  If a structure on that plot is encroaching onto your plot then I would persist with the council.

PS. Welcome to the forum  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 22:16 »
is there not a steward or similar on your site ours is very good and easy to get on with our paths are mowed between us and about 3 feet wide. strange that they have been allowed to continue without visiting site for so long.
from bow like to grow

VWilko411

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 23:18 »
Thanks all for your comments & welcome 🥒

So I’ll answer a bit more.  The adjoining plot as apparently not been cultivated for approx 4yrs. Plot holder keeps paying her subs, gets a warning letter from the council & then by magic does a little....

We’ve had ours 18mths & never seen them!! I emailed the council to say I’d be interested in taking it on if we could but if not could they visit & assess the mess.  Weeds spreading into ours, rubbish, broken pots & overgrown bushes...
Reply was never had any complaints before & as far as they’re concerned it’s being cultivated! We know this to be wrong.  So in went some photos I took.  Low & behold inspections came, letter sent & a few raspberries cut down & tiny tunnel erected.  That’s it for 4months.

The latest reply ref the path is.....you say you’ve not seen them but can you just leave them a note with your contact details ERM NO

Our committee are really positive but unfortunately couldn’t recall the width Regs.

Sorry long winded response to you all

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 06:58 »
I had/have still got a plot like this next to mine.  It went on for years with ‘weedy’ notices and a bit of work done, then nothing.    The ‘weeds’ were actually shrubs that the plot holder planted as cuttings and then let grow huge, with brambles arching over the whole lot.

Eventually the person moved and gave up the plot, but it is now so bad, no-one else will take it despite a waiting list of several years for the site. 

I used to hack back to free up the access path between our 2 plots.  Now the plot is vacant, I have cleared back further.  It is not ideal, but better than it was.  The guy below this plot does the same at the bottom end.  The shrubs are hacked to ground level and the stumps weed killed.  The soil is full of roots and you couldn’t get a spade into it, but between us, we are keeping the worst of it down. 

Keep going with the regular photos.  If the poly tunnel is encroaching onto the path, send photos of this as well, with a wheelbarrow in situ to demonstrate the problem.  Keep a paper trial of emails or whatever and try and avoid phone calls.  Just be polite but persistent and keep chasing them up  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 15:16 »
its nice to see you've been chasing the council to investigate the problem however dragging there heels comes to mind typical council we've never had any complaints before  well  there's always a first time for every thing they just send out a standard letter and hope the problem goes away which of cause it doesn't

its such a sad situation when someone would be quite willing to take this plot on or indeed your selves and tidy it up I'm glad I'm not dealing with your council I used to be on our local parish council we crossed swords many times with our District council bods who great at burying the heads in the sand i like the suggestion of leave them a note that's about as good as a chocolate teapot  :D

I'm sorry you haven't resolved the situation but at least you've tried hope things improve for you let us know if things change good luck

VWilko411

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 23:24 »
Thanks again.  Hubby been there today with some more wood for the beds & had a good chat with some of the allotmenteers. They too are bemused by it but we’ll keep plugging away

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 17:22 »
well done RW

xx
Width of bed for Blackberries?

Started by braders1234 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 14:34
by braders1234
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
Plot advice please!

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 02:27
by Vit

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 49 queries.