The floral parade - your flower pictures.

• 85 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: The floral parade 2021 - Vanda Pakchong Blue
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2021, 19:17 »
First of two orchids blooming for me in November. I have had this Vanda since roughly 2013, this is the second time it has bloomed for me. 4-inch diameter flowers, no fragrance.

It's growing in a 12-inch long vitrified clay drainage pipe. There is no soil, bark moss, etc. in that pipe.  Just a lot of happy roots.

What a beautiful colour and patterning  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

Re: The floral parade 2021 - your pictures
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2021, 14:19 »
Sub, Perhaps you are the man to advise me .   I have nothing as stunning as yours, but a supermarket one.
It was in flower last summer when given to me.  I stuck it in a bathroom and neglected it all winter.  Then stood it in the garden.   It started to flower mid-September.   I bought it in and put it on a kitchen window ledge.
It is just about finishing now.    But I don't know what to do now.  One tall stem has no leaves.  In the past I have cut those off, so the base of the plant has a few of these.  It has never been replanted, and I notice it is growing better on one side than the other.  I plan to put it in the bathroom again soon, along with some succulents.  Any advice will be great,  thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2021, 04:24 »
Sub, Perhaps you are the man to advise me .   I have nothing as stunning as yours, but a supermarket one.
It was in flower last summer when given to me.  I stuck it in a bathroom and neglected it all winter.  Then stood it in the garden.   It started to flower mid-September.   I bought it in and put it on a kitchen window ledge.
It is just about finishing now.    But I don't know what to do now.  One tall stem has no leaves.  In the past I have cut those off, so the base of the plant has a few of these.  It has never been replanted, and I notice it is growing better on one side than the other.  I plan to put it in the bathroom again soon, along with some succulents.  Any advice will be great,  thanks,  Mrs Bouquet

Mrs B., I will try to help if I can.
I will hazard a guess that your grocery store orchid is a type of moth orchid (the genus is Phalaenopsis).  Look that name up (pictures online), and see if the plant and the shape of the leaves and flower is a pretty close match.

The tall stem that you mention, is that the flower stem?  You can leave that on, or remove it, either is fine.  Sometimes the plants will make a second set of flowers from that stem (but that also requires the plant to expend more resources).  I usually cut that stem off after the flowers are done.   

A little "benign neglect" is fine with these, but just a little.  What they need is to have indirect light (filtered or diffuse light instead of full sun).  Water well at least 2 times a week, 3 times if your air is very dry.  If the roots are in sphagnum moss, limit it to 2 waterings (you might do 3 if it is in bark chips).  "Water well" means flood water through the pot for about 10 seconds; drain; put it back in it's growing location, the growing medium (moss or bark) should dry a good bit before you water again.  That wet/dry, wet/dry cycle is important for the roots to stay healthy.

The plant will be happiest if the temperature stays above 60 degrees F (16 C).

Don't worry too much about fertilizer while it is indoors.  It is OK to give a little fertilizer at this time, but it really needs fertilizer when it is actively growing.  In summer, fertilizer diluted to 1/4 the recommended strength, once a month, is helpful.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mrs bouquet

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2021, 16:41 »
Thanks Sub for that info.  All inwardly digested.   I think I may replant in a slightly large clear orchid pot in the spring as well.   Cheers,  Mrs Bouquet

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: The floral parade 2021 - Zygocactus
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2021, 16:30 »
This Zygocactus used to belong to my late mother in-law.  I would spruce it up for her until it bloomed and put in her home (she was not a gardening person). After it bloomed, I would take it back and repeat. I also did this when she was in a memory care facility.

I'm still caring for it, even though she's gone. Here we call them Thanksgiving cactus, Christmas cactus, or Easter cactus, depending on when they bloom. This one is at it's best, approaching our Thanksgiving holiday next Thursday.
IMG_20211120_111324776.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2021, 17:33 »
They're so lovely aren't they!
I've got a couple of Christmas ones, but they don't flower reliably, I've no idea why, though. Is it more watering or feeding they require?

snowdrops

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2021, 20:36 »
I’ve got 3 , one is just beginning to flower & I spied the white one is budding up, nothing on the 3rd so far. Mum, I used to put mine outside in the summer but then the slugs started finding them. I think letting them dry out in between watering is recommended, & I thought not moving them when we n bud as they tend to drop the buds then but subs advice throws that advice out the water lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2021, 15:19 »
They're so lovely aren't they!
I've got a couple of Christmas ones, but they don't flower reliably, I've no idea why, though. Is it more watering or feeding they require?

I will tell you the care regime mine get, which mimics what my mother used to do. She had a very large Christmas cactus, and she always got it to bloom reliably. I say I try to mimic what she did, as I never got precise instructions from her. I seem to be close enough though.

My mother's Zygocactus grew in a 10-inch diameter clay pot, the plant was at least 2 feet across. Who-knows-what kind of soil.  I never saw her repot it. The plant in my photo is in a 4-inch clay pot, and has been in that pot for years. It is likely very root-bound. I don't repot, but occasionally top off the soil a bit.

In spring and summer, mine goes outside. To be on the safe side, put them out after your last frost date, leave them out until autumn, pull them indoors before the first frost.  The real truth is that mine are sometimes put outdoors a little too soon or left out a little too late, and a light frost does not seem to hurt them, but I don't recommend it.

When outdoors, water and fertilize like other houseplants you have outside.  In the UK you probably get enough rain that watering may not be needed if the plants are exposed to the rain. Give it soluble houseplant fertilizer once a month. In reality, I usually am casual about the exact NPK ratio of the fertilizer, and how often it gets fertilizer, as long as it is growing well. Mine in Georgia are put in full sun.

Autumn.  What my mother did: when it is too cold for them outdoors, bring them in, put in a room away from direct sun, and cool to cold. My childhood home had very poor heat in the bedroom areas, dim lighting, she used that space and witheld water completely. I think she did that for maybe a month or two.  What I do: our October gradually cools and becomes dry, I leave my Zygocactus out until either it gets too cold or until buds form.

After the cold/dry/dark treatment my mother would put the plant in a south-facing window, and take her 1-quart watering can, add a half teaspoon of plain household ammonia to that, water with that solution, and water weekly until blooming. Mom grew up during the depression, and her family didn't spend money on houseplant fertilizer, but the ammonia provides nitrogen.  I just water, with or without houseplant fertilizer, when the plant comes in, and water weekly.

Thats it!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 15:49 by Subversive_plot »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2021, 15:54 »
I’ve got 3 , one is just beginning to flower & I spied the white one is budding up, nothing on the 3rd so far. Mum, I used to put mine outside in the summer but then the slugs started finding them. I think letting them dry out in between watering is recommended, & I thought not moving them when we n bud as they tend to drop the buds then but subs advice throws that advice out the water lol

Snowdrops, my opinion is that if it works for you, keep doing that! 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2021, 20:30 »
Mine thrive (well, at least, survive  :wub: ) on neglect.  The ones with the spikier corners on leaves, I find are flowering about now. The ones with rounder corners on leaves tend to be nearer Easter.

Absolutely lovely piccie, SP

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: The floral parade 2021 - orchid Cattlianthe Golden Wax
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2021, 16:59 »
This is an intergeneric Cattleya-type hybrid that I have owned since 1985. I have divided it and given pieces away more times than I can remember! Some years it's fragrant, most years it isn't, but this year I'm in luck.

In case you are wondering, yes, it is growing potted in wine corks, nothing else.  To be specific, those are plastic wine corks!

1640364452152933435216.jpg

clip
The Floral Parade - your pictures

Started by New shoot on General Gardening

91 Replies
Last post January 03, 2021, 20:46
by snowdrops
clip
The Floral Parade 2022

42 Replies
Last post December 29, 2022, 16:52
by New shoot
xx
The floral parade 2024

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2024, 22:00
by snowdrops
xx
The floral parade 2023

14 Replies
Last post December 23, 2023, 11:47
by New shoot

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 47 queries.