Onions

• 18 Replies

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
Onions
« on: February 05, 2020, 17:35 »
Just chatting on the plot the other day and the conversation turned to onions, we recalled that some years ago our mums used to serve up a boiled onion with some butter and a bit of salt and pepper as I remember,
wondered if anyone else heard of it.

rowlandwells

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 18:07 »
O" yes boiled onions with some nice sausages or a meat dish together with some white or parsley sauce and I even like  boiled sausages less fat its all lovely food just the job after  a morning down the allotments

that's good topic Johnjsdb glad to see someone keeping the traditional foods alive I also like tripe and onions pigs trotters with onions stuffed hearts breast of lamb its endless and  all good grub

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 20:24 »
O" yes boiled onions with some nice sausages or a meat dish together with some white or parsley sauce and I even like  boiled sausages less fat its all lovely food just the job after  a morning down the allotments

that's good topic Johnjsdb glad to see someone keeping the traditional foods alive I also like tripe and onions pigs trotters with onions stuffed hearts breast of lamb its endless and  all good grub

I'd agree with that except for the tripe bleugh  ::) I can't stand the stuff  :lol: :lol:

wighty

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 21:20 »
We used to have onions roasted in with  the joint and potatoes when I was younger.  Might have to give it a go this weekend (if we have a roast that is).

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 08:47 »
but Mum its  like Marmite tripe you either love it or hate it  :D :D :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 10:29 »
Yes, we could have a poll on Tripe.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 10:37 »
A dear friend of mine used to do that with onions but she made a white sauce by adding some milk then put the onions in it and it didn't half taste good!  ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 16:55 »
there's something you don't see around here I think its called Lincolnshire chime but I could be wrong and stand corrected

if I remember its pork stuffed with parsley and may be an onion?  [flat parsley]  perhaps some of our members who live in Lincolnshire could give us more info on this topic

I know when the wife and me used to go shopping in Spalding some thirty odd years ago we used to buy this from a butchers shop near Spalding market it was lovely eaten cold

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 16:59 »
there's something you don't see around here I think its called Lincolnshire chime but I could be wrong and stand corrected
Lincolnshire Chine https://www.slowfood.org.uk/ff-products/lincolnshire-stuffed-chine/ is really tasty :)

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 18:21 »
A dear friend of mine used to do that with onions but she made a white sauce by adding some milk then put the onions in it and it didn't half taste good!  ;)

That's how I remember my nan doing the onions.  She used to cook them in milk, give them a good shake of pepper, and serve the onion and milk up with a good, thick slice of bread to sop up the liquid.
She also used to dress chickens for other people, and one of our "treats" was to have some of the chicken necks that she had boiled to pick at.  Kept us occupied for ages trying to find a few bits of meat!

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 18:02 »
thanks Mum will be looking  up that site

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 18:10 »
Just pressure cooked -which counts as boiling 1.5kg of onions and will pressure cook another 1kg later.
I'll frizzle them up in the pan to caramelise them then freeze or put them in a jar.

Some cheese and peas or sweetcorn, broccoli or cabbage and they'll be amazing. Or in a baked potato. Add meat if you fancy.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 22:46 »
There was a huge red onion dish at the Toby, it was in a thick red wine sauce and really delicious .

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 22:29 »
The original post was to bring forward old veg recipies, now we are in possibly hard times it may help some to get throiugh it.
Just a thought
Also to reduce energy bills is it adviseable to cut veg smaler to reduce cooking times, I do this for most of me veg paticularly potatoes

GraciesGran

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 06:30 »
My mum used to do roast onions, very yummy.  Breast of lamb was also one of her dishes, need to talk to my butcher. Never had tripe but my grandparents were both very fond of it. Favourite recipe in times of empty purse is cauliflower cheese.

xx
Onions during WW2...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2021, 11:26
by mumofstig
xx
sweet onions

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2019, 20:23
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 49 queries.