M'aidez, m'aidez - lost a recipe (duh)

• 5 Replies

hamstergbert

M'aidez, m'aidez - lost a recipe (duh)
« on: June 11, 2017, 13:25 »
I have rather stupidly lost the used envelope on which I had scribbled a recipe.  Used it several times and do remember it was easy and good but instead of adding it to the folder properly....

So, thought I may as well see if a description rings any bells for anyone.

Generally the dish was pork chops in a chicken stock between layers of sliced potatoes and onions.  I think they chops had a quick dance in the frying pan and then spread on top of a layer of sliced raw spuds.  Rest of the sliced spuds on top and pour stock over.  Recall it was several hours cooking with last half an hour (?) uncovered to brown the top layer of spuds off.   However have no idea what temperature or oven time although I am pretty certain it was several hours!

Anyone able to recognise the recipe or alternatively suggest sensible values for time and temp that will result in something unburned but sufficiently well cooked as to avoid risk of anything nasty making it through intact to MRs HGBs plate.

Would appreciate any guidance/suggestions.

regards
Hamsters.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

lettice

Re: M'aidez, m'aidez - lost a recipe (duh)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 14:20 »
In an old casserole book from the 1970s by Pyrex I have, there is this recipe that sounds similar.

Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a saucepan
Add a few tablespoons of flour, mix well
Add one pint of chicken stock, adding salt and pepper to taste and bring to the boil, keep boiling and stirring for a minute and take off the heat.
Brown 5-6 pork chops in a frying pan (it says in 2 tbsp butter, but I'm sure oil would be fine)
Slice 4 large potatoes and place half on bottom of dish and a layer of one sliced onion.
Pour over half of the chicken stock mixture and place the chops on top.
Layer some more potato over the chops and pour over the rest of the chicken stock mixture.

Cook for one hour at 180c covered (it shows a round casserole pyrex dish with a lid, but I'm sure foil would do fine if no lid) and then 30 mins uncovered to crisp the potatoes.

hamstergbert

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 17:16 »
Thank you Mum and Lettice - The tasteofhome one certainly seemed familiar except for the spuds being all underneath the chops.  Lettice's one definitely rang a bell.  I know it is not quite how I used to do them but close enough for sure. I suspect there might have been a bit of cider in the stock originally so I added some anyway.  Currently in the oven and now quietly confident....

Many thanks both.  I really do appreciate it.

Hamsters.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 21:08 »
Sounds like Lancashire  hot pot but with pork.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

hamstergbert

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 17:05 »
No idea what it is called  (although surely for Lancs Hotpot the spuds would all be on top of the meat?) all I can say is that it was delicious.   Finished up giving it two and a half hours at 180 in the cast iron casserole (Asda copy) down to 150 for the last hour and uncovered for the last 25 mins.  Had to top up with a bit more liquid for the last 45 mins.   Was gorgeous - and the chops/pork steaks from the middle were knork-tender as well.

Thanks for the advice - gave me a bit of reassurance and confidence and guess I got away with it, and then some.

Written it down though this time!

xx
Looking for a Lost Recipe

Started by mrs bouquet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 18:43
by mrs bouquet
xx
Arrrrggghhh lost Red Tomato chutney recipe! - now found

Started by Beetroot Queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 09:55
by Beetroot Queen
xx
looking for a recipe I used to have

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 20:32
by cob nut
xx
Plum Jam Recipe

Started by fayenz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 10:38
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 36 queries.