marmalade

• 9 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
marmalade
« on: March 28, 2017, 15:13 »
I missed the Seville oranges this year, or so they would have me believe when I asked why there weren't any, I don't believe they ever had any in BUT to get to the point, I decided to try making grapefruit marmalade instead.
3 grapefruits, 2 oranges and 2 lemons, 6 pints water and 6lb sugar + extra lemon juice
It took FOREVER to reach setting point and as it's still warm I'm not even sure that it has....
Also, although I left it 10-15 mins before putting into jars, the peel has still all risen to the top.
I can't remember when I last managed a successful marmalade, ie one that set properly. What could I be doing wrong?
Rachael

DanielCoffey

Re: marmalade
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 16:35 »
The quantities look about right apart from the extra juice.

One recipe I have states 1lb grapefruits, 1/2lb lemons, 3 pints water and 3lbs sugar, no extra juice, yields 5 jars.

I would guess that the extra juice plus the oranges may have just made it too wet. It would have needed a reasonable amount of simmering to reduce to 2/3 of original level (I use a chopstick with some knife marks on it - one for the original level, one for the 2/3 target level) before adding the sugar.

Remember that homemade marmalade is not likely to ever go really stiff. It tends to remain fairly soft.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 18:50 »
I get the savile orange concentrate it will make 6lb of marmalade but i allways have one in so when the fruit gets cheap i use as a base , it allways sets never had a problem and i dont have to look out for the elusive, expencive freash type .
our favourite is 3 fruit marmalade just made a batch when the grapefruit at lidl were 19 p each and there was loads of marmalade i use the whole fruit .
got my tin from asds but you can get on line .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 19:21 »
If it's still warm give it a stir to distribute the peel. If tomorrow it hasn't set reboil, a pain I know. How do you test for setting point? I find my thermometer to be not as accurate as the cold plate test. I have tried the methylated spirit way but I'm not confident of it. Did you put in the pips & pith when cooking?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 19:23 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 19:56 »
If you have to stir, you will have lost the sterilisation offered by the sealing so would have to store it in the fridge.

When I made fresh Seville, the recipe said to put the pips and pith (and the peel of a chopped lemon) into muslin and pop them in with the chopped peels and water, soak overnight then simmer gently till reduced to 2/3 of original volume. Squeeze the muslin then add the sugar, bring to boil, wrinkle test, rest 15 mins and jar.

If you have to reboil it, the colour will go a bit flat - the longer it is boiled, the more the colour will go. It may be more effective use of your time to do another batch and cross your fingers that the first lot will gel eventually.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 20:13 »
That seems rather a lot of water and sugar for that much fruit.

The Marguerite Patten recipe I use, would only use 4 pints of water, 4 tablespns lemon juice and 4lbs of sugar, with that much fruit.

So as already said, if you haven't got a set - you may have to tip it out and boil it up again. Don't forget to re-sterilize the jars if you do that.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:35 »
Thanks everyone
I am testing it now for my breakfast - it is quite a soft set but it is usable.
Yes I used all the pith in a muslin, but there weren't very many pips.
and i used a thermometer AND the cold plate method. It didn't start to 'gel' until it got up to 106 degrees C and was still quite runny.
I've got the Marguerite Patten book so I'll try her recipe next time.

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 08:40 »
I had some jam that took a few days to set just when i thought i would have to reboil it had set .
chrissie b

DanielCoffey

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 14:36 »
Well done for persevering. Marmalades can be a little slow to gel in the jar.

Whenever I get any jams or marmalades that are a little thinner than can easily be put on bread, I reserve them for putting on homemade natural yoghurt.

Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 14:27 »
I use Delia's recipe from her original recipe book. Never given me any problems, and I receive universal praise for the quality of the end product!  :closedeyes: :closedeyes: :closedeyes:
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

xx
Marmalade

Started by Rosy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 16:32
by andreadon
smiley
marmalade

Started by Neil Doncaster on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 20:19
by Neil Doncaster
xx
Too much marmalade not enough jar!

Started by Remy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 18:40
by mumofstig
xx
marmalade

Started by viettaclark on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

27 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 22:25
by grinling

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 37 queries.