Advice about greenhouse gardening please

• 5 Replies

Anton

Advice about greenhouse gardening please
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:47 »
Fellow gardeners,

I did hardly any gardening last year (herniated disc and shingles at the same time) but I am now back with a vengeance.

As well as my usual allotment plot, I will be doing some greenhouse gardening for the first time.
My son started renting a new house last year and the place used to be a grape-growing business, so there is still one huge greenhouse left in the garden. One half is occupied by vine plants (looking a bit sorry for themselves at the moment) and my son said I can use some of the space for growing a few plants (tomatoes being my main goal at the moment).
I have no experience with greenhouses, ditto for my son.
A friend says you have to prepare for the season by watering the soil. That seems to be sound advice as the soil is very dry. So, first question, how often should we water (there is an underground reservoir)? Second, I was thinking of starting off the tomatoes in my home in pots and then as soon as the tomatoes appear planting or placing them in the greenhouse. This would be March and there is no heating in the greenhouse. Would this be too cold or should they be covered at night?

The windowpanes are a bit green (water and vinegar for cleaning?).

If anyone can offer advice about these items and other tips about greenhouse growing in general I would be very grateful.

Anton

Gellideg

Re: Advice about greenhouse gardening please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:05 »
You lucky thing.A lovely big gr/h.I have 2 10x8 and they are fantastic.I washed mine that were very green when we bought our bungalow with warm water/domestos and fairy liquid.It worked a treat.Vinegar/fairy/warm water and a long handled brush will work a treat on a damp day,I should say.I bubblewrap mine and with a max/min thermometer I just use my own judgement.If a cold spell is forecast,then I cover toms etc with 2 layers of fleece to keep them cosy.Transplant into big pots at the end of April.I personally would not grow in the soil unless you are prepared to put fresh in every season.Good luck. 

Anton

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:58 »
Thanks for your answer Gelledig.
Refresh my memory, I have not lived in England for about 35 years what is domestos?

Anton

Gellideg

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 14:21 »
Anton,I am sorry to confuse you.Domestos is household bleach you would use to clean the loo with!! Any superstore will have it or similar.I get mine from Sainsbury's.Not too much mind you.Perhaps 1/2 a cupful in a 3 gallon bucket.Be carefull not to get a splash in your eyes if you are wetting the gr/h roof.It will leave a lovely clean smell when hosed off.
You're from Belgium,and I am on theWWales coast near Aberystwyth.

Anton

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 15:28 »
Thanks Gellideg. Nice to make your acquaintance.

I live in Belgium  but I am not Belgian. But left England about 35 years ago.

Anton

Anton

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 16:27 »
I see I have moved from my original posting position.

Sorry I did not realise there was a special section for greenhouse growing.

Anton

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 36 queries.