Preserves on Parade

• 230 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Preserves on Parade
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2023, 21:00 »
Preserved pears today  :)

Spicy pear and dried apricot chutney with ginger, chilli and lime.  Pickled pears in a sugar and vinegar mix with garlic, chilli, peppercorns and dried rosemary.  OH arrived home, said the house smelt lovely and went looking for goodies.  He wasn’t best pleased when I said they had to mature, the chutney needed 2 months and the pickles were being saved for the end of the year for eating with cold meats and cheese so hands off   :lol:
IMG_6009.jpeg

wighty

« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2023, 07:18 »
I remember being at school and the whole building smelling when it was chutney making time in the Domestic Science block.  Made all our mouths water and want pickles with lunch.

Growster...

« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2023, 07:38 »
Elder daughter has started a very simple preserve system, with the simple slicing of a couple of red onions plonked in a jar of cider vinegar for a day or so!

They really do taste fabulous, and will have lost the sharpness of a raw onion but don't last long as they get too soft! So, for a week or so, there's a great additive to a sandwich or a salad for very little outlay!

snowdrops

« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2024, 19:46 »
Ooh goodness, not much made before Yule on here!
Today I made the first batch of marmalade for this NewYear 2024, actually 2 batches & 2 more to do tomorrow from frozen fruits, but I got mixed up when I slow cooked the fruits yesterday so ended up with 4lbs cooked. Not sure what we’ll do with it all but the fruits have been in the freezer for a long while. Flavoured 4 big & 2 little with whisky.
Then there’s gooseberry & mint jelly I made last week I think it was .
Then a photo of some of the pantry after a move round.
I had made lots of chutneys in the autumn but don’t seem to have taken any photos, and lots were given as gifts at Christmas
IMG_0316.jpeg
IMG_7071.jpeg
IMG_0260.jpeg
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2024, 18:48 »
Got my preserving year off to a start.

Eggs that were a freebie from work (reduced but not sold) with some white malt vinegar, dried chillies and peppercorns.  OH likes his pickled eggs to have a kick. Now got to hide them somewhere he won’t find them for a few weeks until they mature  :D

The small jar has a bit of scrunched up cling film on the top as it isn’t full and I needed to keep the eggs submerged.

Green garlic from the plot made into garlic butter.  It was overwintered stuff that got bad rust and did not split into cloves.  I chopped it up and blended it with oil and parsley. Then added butter, made into rolls and once set in the fridge, I cut it into rounds and froze it. This is it just about to go back in the freezer. It smells wonderful  :)
IMG_6382.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2024, 12:51 »
Paris Silverskin onions and I dehydrated the green tops for adding to rice dishes, soups and anything else I feel they go with.

The recipe called for wine vinegar but my local Tesco only has the highly expensive Aspall stuff, so they got Tesco own brand cider vinegar instead.

OH loves these things, so not expecting them to last very long  :lol:
IMG_6421.jpeg

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.