Roses

• 7 Replies

Lardman

Roses
« on: December 10, 2015, 14:26 »
There are a couple of roses at the new place, most look like the attached. No labels or anything, Is there any way to identify them and should I be doing anything with them ? I've been told not to kill them  :nowink:  :wub:
its_a_rose.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Roses
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 18:55 »
I'd cut this year's growth down to about 2 ins and completely cut out any dead, diseased or crossing branches. Then next year you'll find out how vigorous they are, next year you may have to prune harder  ;)

That covers all but the old-style, once flowering, shrub roses. These won't flower if pruned now...they need to be pruned straight after flowering, but there's no way of telling now.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:52 »
Roses do respond to hard pruning especially if they need rejuvenating. Aim to get a rounded shape rather than trimming all the branches to the same height. The branch second from the left has a small outward-facing stem. Using that as your main pruning height guide, cut the upper growth at an angle down to 1" then cut off the stem growing inwards as well as any other inward ones from other branches plus any small twiggy growth. Prune the other main branches using your pruning height guide by cutting just above their outward-facing node. Prune any central branches just a bit higher, and prune any outer lower ones further down their stems to get your rounded shape. Next year, you may have less flowers but they tend to be bigger. Later on next year or the following year, it's a good idea to remove most of the growth from an old branch down to about 6" to promote new growth lower down to replace other older and unproductive stems.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Johndeb

• Ashridge Nurseries
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 23:53 »
Naming roses is tough without any clues as there are so many of them and a lot are very similar. You can narrow it down a bit though.

Looking at the picture the rose you show is certainly 20 years old and maybe as much as 30. So that rules out any rose introduced after 1995 and possibly 1985.

Each flowering stem ends in a single hip. That, together with the way it has been pruned would suggest it is a Hybrid Tea (not a shrub rose or a floribunda). If you prune it hard (not to 2" though - and feed it well in spring as well) and it flowers next year it is certainly a Hybrid Tea rose. Given that, plus the colour and the shape of the flower together with its scent and you ought to be able to narrow it down a lot.
Good luck
John

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 10:26 »
The houses were built in 1988 and the previous owner bought from new so I'm guessing they were original features. I was side tracked and missed pruning before the holidays and looking at it now the roses have started to break leaf  already :wacko: I may not mess this year as I'll end up planted next to them if I kill them or if there are no flowers in 2016.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:12 »
Roses will grow year round given half a chance and the mild weather won't be helping  ::)  The picture you posted shows flowers and hips late on in the year, so I would agree with Johndeb that they are hybrid tea roses.

I would just do a tidy up prune as MoS suggests.  Cut back last years growth and cut out anything that is crossing, damaged or looks dead.

The main trick with roses is feeding them.  They will grow just about anywhere, but a good rich soil makes them turbo charged.  A good mulch of bagged manure will help, just don't get it mounded around the stems and invest in some rose food.  That and deadheading are all they need for this summer and all the flowers Mother Lard could wish for  :)

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 19:35 »
I've found a very old plant label on one of the other bushes (the 1/2 standard), I can just make out "ider up" which a quick google reveals cider cup, so that's 1 of a dozen or so identified  ::)

Mulching might be a problem, they're underplanted very heavily with bulbs which have already made 3-4" growth, might have to use a liquid feed. I have oodles of comfrey juice left from last year - is that any use later in the season ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 20:47 »
Wait 'til the bulbs die-back and mulch then. They'll grow through it easily next year  :)

xx
Roses

Started by randombod on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 15:54
by tallulah
clip
GG's roses.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2021, 06:33
by Growster...
xx
Roses

Started by Novice on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2006, 09:47
by chutneymaster
xx
roses

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

29 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 00:10
by Trillium

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 35 queries.