Asparagus question

• 3 Replies

andimac

Asparagus question
« on: July 06, 2015, 14:07 »
Hello everyone,

I planted 4 asparagus crowns this year and was particularly pleased to have 4 seemingly healthy shoots appearing. The problem however is that I planted them in the same bed as some small rhubarb but the rhubarb has gone crazy this year and I think I have lost two of my asparagus (asparagii??) because I think that the rhubarb leaves stopped any rain getting to the plants.
I saw the earlier post about moving young asparagus and I wondered if it was worth replanting the seemingly failed plants too? Is there a chance that they will be busy putting down roots instead of showing above ground? Thought it was all going so well too..

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 14:41 »
Don't know, but there's nothing to lose by digging them up and looking for signs of life - if they're not starting to rot you might as well replant them, especially if you can see any shoots starting on the crowns.

Asparagus is not a plant that welcomes any competition, least of all from something like rhubarb!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 19:11 »
One issue could be a lack of water this year. We are dry here in Hampshire and rhubarb in the same bed could well starve the asparagus of water and nutrients. I had a dry season when I planted my asparagus in February a few years ago  and didn't see any life till August when the weather changed. Sounds like you need to move them I am afraid

Good luck
HH
Keep digging

andimac

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:09 »
Thanks for the replies. I dug up one of the ones which had "ied" and found new root growth so quickly put it back again!  I'm pleased to say that all 4 now have healthy looking growth above ground. I have decided that as soon as it dies back, the rhubarb will be shofted to a new bed and the asparagus will become sole occupants of this space.
As for a lack of water being the issue, the rhubarb leaves certainly provided an umbrella over one of the plants which may have lead to it dying off eralier (I've kept the rhubarb fronds  trimmed since) but otherwise, I am afraid that this year we have suffered a surplus of water not a lack...

xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus question

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 21:08
by gobs
xx
asparagus question

Started by nickyveglover on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 23:08
by nickyveglover
xx
Asparagus Question

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 16:52
by crh75

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 29 queries.