Fence Panel / overhanging trees

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Fence Panel / overhanging trees
« on: April 14, 2015, 14:23 »
Looking at the damage from the recent storms, Im going to need a few new fence panels. No problem, lap fence panels and concrete posts just slot them in job done... but next door has 1 overhanging tree, I REALLY don't want to cut back to the fence line as it's leyandii and I'll be cutting into the dead area forever to have a 5' dead patch above the fence.

The only solution I can come up with to part dismantle the panel and then try and squeeze it in and then rebuild which I fear will end in tears and much Anglo Saxon.  Anyone have any better ideas or tricks of the trade?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Fence Panel / overhanging trees
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 14:30 »
can't you just cut out the bits that are in the way, rather than whole branches - or does the one branch take out loads of growth higher up  :unsure:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 14:38 »
You could possibly take out the face of the groove with a diamond tipped angle grinder and then use a baton to replace it ! Slow mucky job but feasible  :dry:
I cook therefore I grow

Steveharford

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 15:20 »
I would cut down the new panel tight to the side battens then separate the side battens to get rid of the lap offcuts. Fix side battens back onto the now reduced width panel. Get a piece of timber the same depth as the post groove, hold it in the groove while positioning modified panel up to it. Bang a row of screws down to fix the two together. Voila !

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 16:08 »
can't you just cut out the bits that are in the way, rather than whole branches - or does the one branch take out loads of growth higher up  :unsure:

'Fraid so. It's planted right on the fence line so I'd basically be cutting back to trunk. I've been a little silly and allowed it to grow 6' or so into the garden without trimming it as it provided a little privacy.  :blush:  I'll start working on pushing it back slowly.

I would cut down the new panel tight to the side battens then separate the side battens to get rid of the lap offcuts. Fix side battens back onto the now reduced width panel. Get a piece of timber the same depth as the post groove, hold it in the groove while positioning modified panel up to it. Bang a row of screws down to fix the two together. Voila !

I think Im with you... build an 'L' shape inside the post grove - sit put the panel on it and then make an 'n' out of it from another baton on the exposed side. It should just look like a wider vertical baton on 1 end.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 16:30 »
Branches normally bend tie them back to the trunk or another branch, drop the panel in then cut the string .

xx
Fence panel protection - Green Leaf Wood Treatment?

Started by fuchsia on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 20:15
by fuchsia
xx
help with fence panel shed/potting shed

Started by peppa on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:30
by poultrygeist
xx
Greenhouse with overhanging eaves?

Started by savbo on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 12:18
by dexyblue
clip
Solar panel timed drip feeder

Started by Allotmentman on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2019, 23:42
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 35 queries.