Greenhouse Reccomendations?

• 11 Replies

Willow_Warren

Greenhouse Reccomendations?
« on: May 19, 2014, 15:54 »
Hi,

I'm looking for a greenhouse for my new garden!

I'm only looking for a small one, perhaps just 6 x 4 or maybe stretch to one size larger about 6 x 6.  Prob looking to get a new one delivered as I want it quickly and have no transport.

I like the look of this one as it is wood:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/billyoh---wooden-greenhouse---6x6ft-161259
but at that price I fear there maybe some pitfalls!

That pretty much is my price bracket though... my parents have promised to buy me one and I don't think they'll be stretching to anything more than a few hundred...

Also does anyone know if greenhouses will be ok sited on decking?  Looking at either free standing or possible lean-to if it could go against the shed (although I need to check where the sun and the shed windows are).

I am looking for one mainly to bring on young plants then later house my peppers & possibly tomatoes & I want it to look nice and blend into my garden (lol... when I see the ones I like they tend to have £1000+ price bracket!)

Thanks

Hannah :)

Headgardener22

Re: Greenhouse Reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 17:33 »
If you want a really cheap one, what about this:
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-buildings/greenhouses/greenhouse_bases/-specificproducttype-greenhouse_frames/6x6-Silver-Greenhouse-Frame-Home-Delivered-9218771?skuId=9228470

It has the benefit of glass right down to the floor take care with the stated price because it needs a glazing kit and base which aren't included in this price.

I bought two like this (8x6) about 10 years ago and they've done me proud.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 18:26 »
Or this is where I had mine from
http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/Greenhouses/Halls/Popular/6x4

My first greenhouse was a Halls never had any problems with it. I've got a Rhino now. What I will say WW is the smaller they are the harder to keep cool in the summer also you soon fill one, but of course you need to stay in budget.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Asherweef

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 18:35 »
If you want a really cheap one, what about this:
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-buildings/greenhouses/greenhouse_bases/-specificproducttype-greenhouse_frames/6x6-Silver-Greenhouse-Frame-Home-Delivered-9218771?skuId=9228470

It has the benefit of glass right down to the floor take care with the stated price because it needs a glazing kit and base which aren't included in this price.

I bought two like this (8x6) about 10 years ago and they've done me proud.

I have a bigger version of that - Don't bother with a base. Good quality.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 19:06 »
You'll regret buying anything as small as 6x4 especially at that price  :ohmy: If all that's stopping you getting a second hand one is transport , phone a friend or hire a van.    :nowink: You really do pay a premium for new.

The halls popular are a decent price and standard, if you want something to blend go for the green frame and not polycarb it really will make all the difference.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 19:36 »
The Halls 6 x 6 from the above link - really is good value for money! It's £300 in other places, such as Homebase.

This is the one I mean
http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/Greenhouses/Halls/Popular/6x6

It says you have to have the base but mine is screwed to a simple wooden base - so no reason you can't fix it it to decking.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:43 »
Thanks for all the advise.  The Halls one does look good, although it is surprising how much it totals once you add the extras (mainly safety glass) - so I might have to have a think about it as I don't think my parents were expecting it to come to that much (and I've had to buy important things like a fridge/freezer!).  It may be that it has to wait for next year...

H :)

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 18:29 »
I got my 6x4 from The Greenhouse People about 3 years ago and have been very happy with it.  I can't have a bigger one because our garden is quite small.  I paid around 650  incl toughened glass and delivery plus a bench to go inside.  Really recommend the toughened glass.
OG

Willow_Warren

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 14:06 »
Well I have just taken delivery of my greenhouse  ???

There are sooo many parts, I suddenly feel very daunted at the thought of putting i together and wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew  :wacko:

The delivey driver was a bit miserable as well, I guess because it has to be taken through my house as I don't have side access to my garden.  He kept saing if I'd have ordered as 12ft one it wouldn't have fitted!  Well... I didn't... I bought one that I knew would fit through as I'd arleady got my 6ft shed though - which was one large sheet rather than long thin bits.  The box was however quite large and a lot longer than any of the bits inside it...

Anyhow, it's all here now just needs putting up...  :ohmy:

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 14:54 »
There are sooo many parts, I suddenly feel very daunted at the thought of putting i together and wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew  :wacko:

You eat an elephant the same way as anything else - one bite at a time  ;) If it's your first one it's always a lot easier with another pair of hands. Not that anything will be heavy but you'll be struggling to hold one end, align the other and suddenly realise you've left the bag of bolts just out of reach.   :nowink:

Anyhow, it's all here now just needs putting up...  :ohmy:

What are you doing here then ? Have at it  :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 15:08 »
It's like the Enigma puzzle in the Radio Times - sometimes seems almost impossible trying to get started but gets much easier as you start to use up the pieces.  ;)

Only a couple of things which may not be made clear in the instructions - there will probably only be one channel for the opening light, and assuming you want the window on a specific side you have to fit the roof beam the right way round - the odds were therefore 50-50 of getting it right by chance........... :nowink:  :mad:

Something else not mentioned in the instructions was that on my GH it was not possible to glaze the door with it bolted together and fitted in position - I had to remove it and partly take it apart again to fit the glass!

Most important thing is to get the base completely square or you will never get the glass to fit - measure it from corner to corner across the diagonals to make sure.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 15:10 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Willow_Warren

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 15:14 »

What are you doing here then ? Have at it  :nowink:

I'm being naughty, I'm supposed to be working from home ;)

(gutting when it's lovely and sunny outside!!)

xx
shed/gh/workshop reccomendations

Started by dmg on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 02:29
by dmg
xx
Best 6x8 Greenhouse

Started by wil4025 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 19:24
by Chrysalis
xx
Does this greenhouse look ok?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 01:36
by peter james
xx
What Greenhouse

Started by Shadrak on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 16:38
by Shadrak

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 35 queries.