Where to put Louvre vent

• 11 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Where to put Louvre vent
« on: April 12, 2014, 16:24 »
where is the best place to situate a Louvre vent?
At he moment I have one in my large greenhouse on the side partially behind staging. I have seen some at the back up from the bottom about 2 panes of glass. I need to buy one for the other greenhouse and want to place hem in the best position possible.

Forgot to say there are 2 automatic vents in the roof one either side.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 16:40 by Ma Lowe »

Lardman

Re: Where to put Louvre vent
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 17:54 »
I spent some time gurggling but never found and answer to what is best. In the end I put mine on the bottom row on the opposite side to the roof vents. My thinking was it was best suited there to create good air flow through the GH.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 20:20 »
Lardman's suggestion is the one I would go with: low down where you can reach it
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 20:25 »
I agree that's where mine are,plus I added automatic openers to them to make life easy.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Ma Lowe

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:50 »
So low down it is then but I have 2 automatic roof vents one either side so should i put it at the back or just put it on the side opposite my staging. It has always concerned me putting the vent where the plants will be cos it could be too cold for them having a direct draught or does that not matter.  Thanks  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:24 »
Trouble with putting it at the back is that if you want to insulate with bubble wrap in the winter you can't make a tent to section the back area off too keep warmer. Though having said that you wouldn't open the louvred in the cold weather anyway. Same goes for draughts you'll only open them or they only open automatically when it is warm.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:57 »
Still blows a bit through mine even when closed. I went with the side rather than the back by the potting bench going on the assumption, a warm draft in the summer when there would be big plants near it would be better than a cold draft in the spring over the seedlings.  ;)

Watch having an autovent on the side of the prevailing wind Ma - it can be both sunny and windy at the same time which will make it difficult to batten down the hatches.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:47 »
Quite interested in this topic as my 8X6 GH only has one door and one opening roof light (with auto-opener) and it can get a bit humid on warm days.

There don't seem to be that many manufacturers of Louvre vents, and (as is often the case  ::)) nearly all of them seem to have their critics when you look at the reviews....

Is there a particular make or model anyone can recommend? (standard 2 feet/610mm square glass glazing.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 16:42 »
Not sure what make mine is, I bought them at a show from the manufacturers of my greenhouse,here they are,

http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/Accessories/Ventilation%20Temp%20Control/

Ma Lowe

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 18:36 »
In the end I left the louvre Vent where it was. Its half way up the 14' length on the side nearest the hedge one pane of glass up from the floor. I have moved the work bench down a bit so the vent  is not blocked by pots etc on the bottom shelf.

Quite interested in this topic as my 8X6 GH only has one door and one opening roof light (with auto-opener) and it can get a bit humid on warm days.

There don't seem to be that many manufacturers of Louvre vents, and (as is often the case  ::)) nearly all of them seem to have their critics when you look at the reviews....

Is there a particular make or model anyone can recommend? (standard 2 feet/610mm square glass glazing.)

We are looking for a louvre vent for our 10'x8' greenhouse that has one door and 2 roof vents on automatic openers but like you we found very few and they are quite expensive too.  :ohmy:

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:39 »
The mice like low down vents!  :(

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 12:14 »
Have a look on ebay there are some louvre vent openers for £19.99 new,thats the cheapest ive found or try amazon  ;)
diggity dig dig

xx
Fitting an automatic louvre opener

Started by wendyg on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 15:52
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Where can you buy a roof vent for a greenhouse ?

Started by wbmkk on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 13:15
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Halls automatic vent opener thingy.

Started by Lardman on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 17:41
by Lardman

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 37 queries.