chutney

• 8 Replies

captainhastings

chutney
« on: October 05, 2013, 17:53 »
I just made some beetroot chutney using this recipe
--------------------
3lb beetroot, peeled and then cut into dice.
1 onion, diced
1 cooking apple, peeled cored and diced
12 oz sugar
1 pint vinegar
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
-------------------

But instead of simmering I used the pressure cooker but it was very vinegary in fact I drained some off then reduced it with the lid off.
I use malt vinegar from tesco. I am hoping it doesn't taste to bad once cooled or I just wasted 3lb of beetroot :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: chutney
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 19:08 »
I'm a chutney maker, but no pressure cooker expert.  I thought you could only use one to do the initial softening of the fruit or veg, then do the simmering with the lid off and the pressure cooker used like a normal pan  :unsure:

You need all the vinegar to preserve the chutney, so I think the only route now would be to add what you drained back in and simmer the chutney again to evaporate it.  Not sure if it will work though, so you may want to wait for more experienced advice  ;)

The vinegar taste mellows as the chutney matures, so if it tastes a bit sharp when cool, it may be very different after a couple of months in the jar  :)

captainhastings

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 19:37 »
Thanks for the reply I did just use the cooker for the initial cook then simmered. I didnt remove too much vinegar just few spoons then I reduced it till I had a nice consistency. Hopefully it will be ok :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 19:49 »
I have taken vinegar off before chutneys that just would not simmer down enough or chutneys that kept me up padt my bedtime  ;) sounds very like the recipe i use minus ginger and its lovely.

Just fancy a sandwich now you posted that.  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:05 »
I would never use a pressure cooker for chutney. Yes for marmalade or softening fruit for jam on a medium pressure only.

Chutney really needs an open preserving pan or large pan minus the lid for reducing the liquid.

You could try distilled malt vinegar which is white,  as that has a less vicious bite to it. And the vinegar bite should go after a month or so maturing. You can use cider or wine vinegar so long as it has an acid content of at least 5%

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 20:18 »
I would never use a pressure cooker for chutney. Yes for marmalade or softening fruit for jam on a medium pressure only.

Chutney really needs an open preserving pan or large pan minus the lid for reducing the liquid.

You could try distilled malt vinegar which is white,  as that has a less vicious bite to it. And the vinegar bite should go after a month or so maturing. You can use cider or wine vinegar so long as it has an acid content of at least 5%

Yes I like the ones made with white wine vinager :)
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

captainhastings

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 20:35 »
Well regardless the end result was delicious one jar at least certainly won't be doing any maturing :)

Missie

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 21:50 »
I have just made some chutney using red and green tomatoes and white wine vinegar - very tasty!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 08:43 »
Well regardless the end result was delicious one jar at least certainly won't be doing any maturing :)

Glad it all worked out  :)

xx
Ale Chutney??

Started by Guzzik on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 17:30
by Guzzik
xx
I am a chutney god

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:26
by noshed
xx
chutney

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 18:27
by Yorkie
xx
A new use for chutney

Started by Jackypam on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 08, 2013, 20:09
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 35 queries.