Grapes

• 13 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Grapes
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:38 »
Lovely neighbour has handed me half a dozen large bunches of black eating grapes this morning. Any way I can preserve them?

Thanks

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
Re: Grapes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:27 »
When we lived in France we would put them on a tray in the freezer, then when frozen put in zip locked bags. Same with cherries, great to thaw then eat, or make pies with.

"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

tosca100

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:29 »
When we lived in France we would put them on a tray in the freezer, then when frozen put in zip locked bags. Same with cherries, great to thaw then eat, or make pies with.

Hmmmm never thought of making pies with them. Interestin, they are certainly tasty enough. Thanks :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:27 »
What about a grape jelly, i did one many years ago but the batch needed about ten times more as the final yield was tiny. Used it to add a little extra something to gravy if i remember rightly.  :wacko:

tosca100

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:55 »
What about a grape jelly, i did one many years ago but the batch needed about ten times more as the final yield was tiny. Used it to add a little extra something to gravy if i remember rightly.  :wacko:

I've got some windfall pears, I could put some of those with them. An idea. :)

tosca100

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40 »
Well, I made the black grape and pear jelly, and very nice it is too. :tongue2:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 12:59 »
Looks great, ummm not sure i can justify buying grapes though to make some, especially at the price shops charge  ???

tosca100

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 13:10 »
Looks great, ummm not sure i can justify buying grapes though to make some, especially at the price shops charge  ???

Been out to buy a stove today and it's enough to make you weep the amount rotting on the vines. The ones the neighbour gave us had pips, which we have not seen for years, and I am ashamed to say I avoided buying. But they were absolutely delicious (the hens thought so too) and pips? So what. But we couldn't eat them all.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 13:45 »

Been out to buy a stove today and it's enough to make you weep the amount rotting on the vines. The ones the neighbour gave us had pips, which we have not seen for years, and I am ashamed to say I avoided buying. But they were absolutely delicious (the hens thought so too) and pips? So what. But we couldn't eat them all.
:( that always has me grumpy when peopke let producs rot on the plant, its such a waste

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 15:56 »
Have you thought of making grape juice and bottling it for the winter? that's my plan for this year. I have several grape plants that were supposed to be nice red seedless eating grapes. Instead, the supplier shipped me seeded blue grapes that have gone wild. I have hundreds of clusters of small grapes that will become juice very soon. I've just bought the perfect item to help me juice them as well as other fruits when they come into full production:

JUICER

True, it costs a bit of money but it's a lifetime investment. I saved up birthday and Christmas moneys and it's now sitting nearby, ready for action. Soon it will get even more as I'd already bought 2 Concord grapes for juicing before the blue grapes started to fruit   ::)

tosca100

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 16:46 »
Maybe next year when our own are in fruit. These came from next door and there were too many for us to eat. :D

gobs

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 00:04 »
I'm late on this thread and it does look good true, anyway, but not the best use of grapes, IMHO, sun-dry them excess next year...
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

tosca100

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 05:08 »
I'm late on this thread and it does look good true, anyway, but not the best use of grapes, IMHO, sun-dry them excess next year...

Next year everything will be different. I will hopefully have my own grapes, OH has plans for a sun-drier after his success with tomatoes and peppers this year, and there won't be any builders making a mess everywhere. :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 09:15 »
I use my greenhouse grapes for jelly as they are not quite sweet enough for dessert grapes.

This year's jellies will be Grape with rosemary and Grape with juniper, as well as some sweet grape jelly for cake filling etc (or on toast of course  :lol: )

Took me years to realise this was a good way forward with them, instead of wasting such a good crop  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Red Grapes

Started by Dirt Diver on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 19:07
by Dirt Diver
xx
What to do with grapes??

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 20:50
by New shoot
xx
Grapes

Started by abbymw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 15:53
by chooksbury
xx
White grapes

Started by chickpeacurry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 16:13
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.