Help LICE!!

• 9 Replies

westie

• Experienced Member
Help LICE!!
« on: December 29, 2007, 15:56 »
Please can anyone tell me what the quickest and most effective way of removing lice from hens is...
I have been away for a few days and have just checked my hennies. The bantam is crawling with the horrrid citters! No sign on any of the others.

Selkie

Help LICE!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 15:59 »
They are horrid little things, aren't they?

I got a spray from our vet - two concentrations -- one for the hens themselves and another for in the house/their bedding; but I can't remember what it was called :oops:

WG.

Help LICE!!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 17:12 »
Have you checked the Info forum on this site? http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewforum.php?f=13

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Lice!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 19:52 »
Diatomous Earth is great, environmentally friendly, kills the lice and is even good for the hens if they eat it! It takes a few days as it works by drying the skin of the louse and red mites too. There is also a product called Poultry Shield which you can spray in the henhouse when you clean it. Again it doesn't harm the hens but is just for the henhouse.  I think the supplier I use has patented the Diatomous Earth product and won lots of awards for it. It has loads of uses with a range of livestock. No I'm not on commission but think this is a great product...I even pay to get it sent to me in France as it's not available here! I rarely find any pests on or around my girls nowadays!

If you want a supplier contact, e mail me as I don't think I can name them on the Forum.

Good luck at ridding your hen of those nasty blighters!

Judi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Lice!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 20:13 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
If you want a supplier contact, e mail me as I don't think I can name them on the Forum.

You can post a link to the supplier if you wish Judi - It's not your company and you've stated you're not on commission  :wink:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Diatomous Earth
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 21:14 »
The SPR Centre have a website  see:
www.sprcentre.co.uk   You can read about the product on this site.

I don't think it's cheap but it's worth every penny!

Judi

westie

• Experienced Member
Help LICE!!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 21:49 »
Thankyou. We'll give it a go.

westie

• Experienced Member
got some 'stuff'
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 19:07 »
Well, we dashed out to the local farm suppliers last night. Couldn't get any of the stuff you recommended, but found something called 'Gold Label louse powder' It has similar ingredients but is only a repellent not 'killer off-er'.
I'm hoping it'll hold them in check til I can get to the vets. The others don't appear to have any lice on them, but they are all grooming like mad and keep having dust baths in their rather damp wood chippings in the run so I expect they have got them.

Foxy

Help LICE!!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 19:33 »
Hi Westie, isn't that  going to be expensive taking your bird to the vet? I bought a couple of birds recently which had hen lice. Used this product as it was only the 2 birds. I used 4 squirts vent, under wings and beard and they disappeared.
http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/detailed_product.asp?id=1259
I use them as they are quick and cheap. In the meantime you should be fine with just changing the bedding in the henhouse. Diatom or similar is good as actually desicates the bugs whereas you are right as some products act as a repellent. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help LICE!!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 20:12 »
That product is intended for cage birds not or birds who's eggs are for eating, so I would personally not use it.  I would recommend an egg withdrawal period if you do but I have no idea how long for   :!:

SPR are a good supplier

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/spr/

xx
Lice

Started by farmerGiles on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 15:32
by farmerGiles
xx
Ugh - Lice!!!

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 16:52
by joyfull
xx
Ick lice...

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 08:32
by Casey76
question
lice

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 17:57
by chooknewbie

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 31 queries.