Greenhouse Tomatoes

• 7 Replies

mikeimp

Greenhouse Tomatoes
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:21 »
We have a unheated greenhouse and are wondering about putting our tomatoes out into the growbags.What nightime temperature will they stand ? According to the weather charts the nighttime temp could be down to 3C where we are .As the toms are now fairly large in  9cm  pots we feel that they should be moved soon but worried about the temperature.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:26 »
they need about 10C minimum - mine are going out during the day and coming in every night atm.

The earliest mine have ever moved permanently to the greenhouse is the last week of April (and still needed fleece or bubblewrap over them on the occasional  frosty night)  and this year is a much colder than normal spring.

Have you got a max min thermometer to start checking the overnight lows inside the greenhouse?

mikeimp

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:33 »
Thanks for the reply.Yes, we have a minimum and maximum thermometer which I reset every day.On your advice will keep them in our conservatory for another week or so. Thanks again.

xJoeyx

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:41 »
I took all my tomatoes to the green house last week ! I took just one plant the week before to see how it would cope and it was fine !!  ::) There all looking much healthier than they did sitting on my window sill
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:42 by DD. »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:55 »
Have you had any frosts while they've been out there?

They might not be so happy after a cold frosty night  :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:49 »
Nightime temps are forecast to plummet next weekend to well below zero.

You'd be ill advised to keep tomatoes (and cucumbers and the like) in an unheated greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 14:57 »
You may just get away with covering your seedlings with fleece, or some sort of protection, but it is a tricky time with toms about now I'm afraid!

You really need a heater of some sort - paraffin or electric, to make sure that the frost level doesn't affect your new plants!

We have one on thermostat, and so far it seems to have worked, but the original outlay was about £40.00, plus the cable and the power each night - maybe day as well - of course!

Sorry to be the harbinger of more money, but an electric heater can last for years, and you can think much bigger next year as well!

Totty

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:58 »
An electric heater is an essential for me. Without a heater of some description, your plants will not perform as well with nighttime temps getting well below 10. I doubt they will die unless they get frosted but if they get chilled they will slow right up and get a blue tinge to them. Bubble wrap and fleece will do nothing to stop this happening. It may keep light frost off em but it won't stop them getting cold. My plants have not seen temps below 8 degrees, and some of them were sown in January. If they need potting on, I would do that rather than risk planting them out yet.

Totty

xx
Greenhouse Tomatoes

Started by pumpkingrower31 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 22:26
by Marcus10
question
Greenhouse tomatoes

Started by Countrydweller on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

38 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 00:40
by Paul Plots
xx
greenhouse tomatoes

Started by brrian on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 08:38
by stompy
xx
hello and why are my greenhouse tomatoes wilting?

Started by rod the radish on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 18:15
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 37 queries.