How to stop 4 tier plastic greenhouse blowing away

• 19 Replies

carlotta

How to stop 4 tier plastic greenhouse blowing away
« on: March 12, 2013, 15:04 »
Just went to allotment to find my new 4 shelf (rather flimsy) plastic greenhouse blown over.

This was despite my best efforts to tie it to a fence and stack bricks around the skirt of the base the only thing that stopped it being blown right away was I used a brick as an anchor.

Just wondered if anyone has had this problem and what they did.

Thanks for looking

candygold1

Re: How to stop 4 tier plastic greenhouse blowing away
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 16:01 »
i have one at home and i used some pipe clips and screwed it to my fence worked a treat and easy to undo and put away when not in use :D

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 17:31 »
i got a larger one that blew away last year ,so this year i collected few old glass doors and for the sides ive cut and fitted the doors to fit inside then drilled the poles and attached to the doors for the rear i got two pieces of 4x4 and put one at bottom and other at top of doors on there side at the front same as rear but just one one the floor .then place the cover over ure frame and ive attached the cover to the doors and 4x4s we roofing baton the whole framework that heavy it going knowere fingers crossed

homegrown

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 17:46 »
Mine blew across garden last year
Defo needs support to something

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 17:54 »
I knew mine would easily blow away so I tucked in the L shaped corner of my back porch and out of the direct wind. I also set big concrete blocks along all the bottom rails to hold it down from swirling winds that still tried to take it away.

You'd pretty much have to peg these things down like tents to hold them down. I suspect they should be sold under the name of greenhouse kites.  :dry:

hamstergbert

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 19:17 »
Under ideal conditions a 4-tier plastic greenhouse in good condition can reportedly achieve a glide angle of 17.84:1

Mine only stayed put with ropes around them lashing them to strongpoints on the wall.  Eventually pretty well gave up on them.  My sister scrounged discarded double glazing units and bodged up a frame to hold those as a better substitute, being heavy enough to stay put (with the additional aid of a few judiciously positioned screws into the wall) and used the doings from her tattered and frequently recovered air-transportable 4-tier inside to act as the shelves.   She was tight even when we were kids.......
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 19:24 »
My sister scrounged discarded double glazing units and bodged up a frame to hold those as a better substitute, being heavy enough to stay put (with the additional aid of a few judiciously positioned screws into the wall) and used the doings from her tattered and frequently recovered air-transportable 4-tier inside to act as the shelves. She was tight even when we were kids.......

Good job her degree in aerodynamics came to the rescue then!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 23:04 »
I fixed mine to the shed with a piece of timber and drilled it to secure it. Had bricks on the lower shelf and tied the bottom to a pallet. The cover blew away and ended up shredded to pieces in the hedge

You can now get reinforced covers so I've treated myself to one from W*lko  :)

spudlover

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 23:16 »
a bag of sand on the botton will keep it from going over in the wind.and i put my right up to the fence. with a bag of sand on the botton you can still put plants on top of the bag. a bag of sand will set you back about £1 to £1-50 paul

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 00:21 »
I have used "bungiee luggage straps" in the past and hooked the ends onto eyes screwed into a 6' concrete block wall. This worked a treat and allowed for a little movement in the wind but not a great escape.

I have a brand new heavily reinforced covered new model (birthday present... who keeps secrets for long these days  ::) ) I aim to position this against a 5' hedge as this is where there's the best sun-trap. I am hoping the bungee strap job will surfice to keep the new model pinned to the hedge. We'll see in due course.  :blink: :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 23:39 »
I got a length of 2x1" timber from B&Q, cut it to make two stakes about 3ft long, then hammered them well into the earth in line with the back two uprights of the mini greenhouse, but just inside it so they would fit inside the plastic cover. Then I attached the stakes to the uprights with a couple of cable ties. The shelves still fit in fine as they're not quite as wide as the greenhouse, so there's room for the timber.

The greenhouse is in a really exposed spot, but hasn't shifted an inch in two years.

Pim.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 14:40 by Pimento »
I don't really look like my avatar.

grendel

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:18 »
having to look into this myself now as I put up 3 in the back garden, on two the covers had to come off after a few hours as the wind had them over, I am looking at putting a couple of scaffold boards through the bottoms then piling concrete rubble (about breeze block sized) on the ends, I will update with pics and a suitability report once its all done.
the third one was against the conservatory and the wind was blowing it toward that, so it was fine.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

tjcnok

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 10:42 »
Tent stakes and tarp straps at each corner.

grendel

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 11:13 »
my problem is nowhere to tie down to on the patio - anyway I put the two greenhouses in an L shape, heavy greenheart planks across the bottom and concrete rocks on the ends of the planks. a spring clamp was used at the top to hold the corners together.

Grendel

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 13:19 »
i put a grow bag around the bottom. still here after 3 or 4 windy nights

question
Plastic Balcony 4 Tier Greenhouse Condensation

Started by Carrots and Co. on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2013, 14:22
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
How much use is a plastic greenhouse?

Started by JulesJ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 12:53
by JulesJ
xx
plastic greenhouse

Started by Chas62 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 21:18
by Chas62
xx
Re: Been given a plastic greenhouse frame

Started by Only1Dionne on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 00:16
by Only1Dionne

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.