Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud

• 11 Replies

Derek.laurence

Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud
« on: March 11, 2013, 17:46 »
I am looking for inspiration!

My chicken coop is in a barn with a hatch for my 5 Hens to get to their outside run.

The outside run is approx 15m * 1.5m and is essentially just a scrap of land that has no other use behind the barn.

With all the recent wet weather it has become a complete mud pit.  It is on a slight slope as well so quite treacherous to walk down should i need to.

I am trying to think of some ingenious way to create something to walk on, or stepping stones without taking away the rough ground for the hens to scratch around in; yet at the same time save me falling on my backside and getting caked every time i venture out!

Any ideas or inspiration are most welcome!

Sparkyrog

Re: Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 17:50 »
Bark mulch  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Derek.laurence

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 17:54 »
i had three quarters of a bag of bark sitting and at one point put this down but after a week it barely made a difference, hence wasn't prepared to fork out to bark the whole 22.5 square metres. 
i suppose if i were to carpet the whole area with bark it wouldnt get mixed in as much.....worth a try i suppose.

Thanks sparkyrog

snow white

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:00 »
Pallets.

Saw them so that you get two bits of platform.  If you imagine that a pallet has four bits of 2 x4 onto which the thin wood is nailed.  This gives three sections.  Saw the middle section out which leaves you with two sturdy sections about 150cm in total long.  So 10 pallets would give you a long enough raised path.  Pallets are generally free and should last quite a while.

:)

Derek.laurence

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 17:11 »
thanks snow white,
i had considered a pallet walkway (Pinterest seems inundated with pallet ideas) but hdnt wanted to deprive the poor little chickadoos of scratching ground.

Another good idea though, thanks

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 11:06 »
Miscanthus is really good too and should help to bind the mud.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 16:49 »
Wood is a nightmare when wet or icy.  It isn't dignified when you do the splits and then end up with bumps and bruises.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

snow white

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 20:49 »
quote author=ANHBUC link=topic=103167.msg1155039#msg1155039 date=1363279793]
Wood is a nightmare when wet or icy.  It isn't dignified when you do the splits and then end up with bumps and bruises.   ::)
[/quote]

:lol: the image of that cheered me up no end.  Not wishing it on anybody mind you.  :unsure:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 21:04 »
ROFL Sorry Anhbuc but it brings to mind a chicken sat on her butt with her feet out in front of her  ;)

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 21:24 »
Not a good look when you are in your pj's and dressing gown.   :ohmy:  I was only glad I didn't land on one of my hens.   :lol:

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 14:23 »
So it's not just me that sneaks out in their pjs first thing to let the chickens out! I once bumped into a neighbour letting her dog out - fortunately she was also in her nightie!  :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 15:29 »
Certainly isn't just you, there was a thread on here before asking what people wore when letting their hens out on a morning.   :lol:

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 33 queries.