Shed base?

• 5 Replies

Earth_Girl

Shed base?
« on: February 20, 2013, 20:23 »
Hello Everyone ,

I have an allotment and had to knock down my hut as it was made out of pallets and was leaking everywhere. I have a new hut but need to build asolid foundation for new hut . I want to put new hut so it is level with my greenhouse and to prevent water getting in.The drop is no more than 2 ft i am estimating and needing some advice on what to use please?
I have been quoted crazy prices and wanted to try and save a bit of money.
I was proposing to place concrete blocks covering the size of the hut and within the gaps placing sharp sand and placing a layer of slabs , then placing new hut on top. Do you think this would be a solid foundation for new hut? The hut size is 6ft by 4 .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
Re: Shed base?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 20:43 »
I have 2 6x6 wooden sheds. Slabs are down as a base (as level as I could but nor perfect) then sheds sit on 3 wooden fence posts (sleepers) each.
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

Earth_Girl

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 21:40 »
Really? How long have you had that down? Any movement? I am just worried that water will get through but hole where drop is and where hut is going is pretty firm but a couple of steps lowering down to where hole sits and thought if i sit new hut on an elevated area then that would keep it dry.

Thanks for helping!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 23:31 »
My allotment shed was on fence posts laid on the ground. I can't quite work out what you mean about a 2 feet drop but you could build a sort of retaining wall using breeze blocks laid flat and backfill from the high ground to the low - terrace it in other words.

On an allotment you don't really want to build permanent - you might give up the plot and the next tenant not want it. Plus, being a meanie myself, avoid spending money if possible
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:00 »
As John says it's really hard to visualise your situation, have you got a photo of can you upload a sketch?

green jack

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 17:46 »
hi,
my shed is on a flagged base that was already there and i built the shed straight on top using the flags to walk on, if you understand!! sorry, if i can work how to do the pics ( as i'm new) i'l try a put a pic or 2 up

xx
Shed Base

Started by drippin on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 23:39
by drippin
xx
shed base

Started by shed head on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 15:22
by kentzer
xx
shed base?

Started by lowennamoyle on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 21:08
by lowennamoyle
xx
Shed Base

Started by Earth_Girl on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 19:42
by cadalot

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.