Greenhouse Tomatoes

• 14 Replies

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
Greenhouse Tomatoes
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:23 »
Hello.

Im wondering whether anyone can recomened any good greenhouse tomatoes that i could try growing this year that don't really need alot of watering and would still give you a good crop. I understand that tomatoes do require alot of water to get a good size juicy tomatoe but im not usualy around often enough to water them everyday. So im just wondering whether anyone knows of any varieties that could help me in this way, any will do :)

Kleftiwallah

Re: Greenhouse Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 12:08 »

It sounds as if you are a possible overwatererer!   The best tom' for flavour I have found is a beef tom' called "Brandywine"  few tom's - but bigguns !

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:30 »
are you growing in greenhouse soil borders or in pots, because those grown in the soil need a lot less watering than those in pots, obviously.

I can't think of any that need less water but deffo don't grow San Marzano plum tomatoes cos they need a lot or they get blossom end rot  ::)

You could look around for something like this

lettice

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:37 »
Tomatoes do need watering carefully.
In containers/pots I tend to find its once or twice a day in their full growing season on dry days and every few days if ground grown.
If you are away, a neighbour is always the best bet, but for short trips away try a diy drip solution.

Ive used the following and it works well.
81rBhI50JzM

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 13:14 »

It sounds as if you are a possible overwatererer!   The best tom' for flavour I have found is a beef tom' called "Brandywine"  few tom's - but bigguns !

Cheers,   Tony.

I agree with Tony on the 'brandywines'  When I first grew the yellow brandywine some years ago.  Apparently they are grown in more droughty areas like  parts of the USA, where it is drier.

But almost all of my tomatoes are grown in my polytunnel, and I don't always get down there every day when I'm busy.

I do have a couple of these cheap hose things that have little holes in them, and I used to rig them up to my big IBC tank and the toms were trickle watered.  But they weren't long enough for my polytunnel which is 24ft long.  So this year I am going to rig them up in my 10x8 greenhouse for whatever I grow in there and my strawberries which are also grown in that greenhouse.

I looked at one of the big dripper systems today in a garden centre.  It was reduced to £10, but I thought I'm sure I can do similar for less than that.  Must sort out my watering bits!!   ;) ;)

Actually just looked at the big dripper system and Cooper's of Stortford have got it for £8.99!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 13:17 by GrannieAnnie »

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 13:22 »
are you growing in greenhouse soil borders or in pots, because those grown in the soil need a lot less watering than those in pots, obviously.

I can't think of any that need less water but deffo don't grow San Marzano plum tomatoes cos they need a lot or they get blossom end rot  ::)

You could look around for something like this

That's a good price MoS.  waters 24 pots!  :)

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 13:27 »
The brandywines sound great i will definitely consider trying that variety, thanks tony. I will also think about the drip hoses Annie which i think you will also find they are called seep hoses  ;)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 13:34 »
The brandywines sound great i will definitely consider trying that variety, thanks tony. I will also think about the drip hoses Annie which i think you will also find they are called seep hoses  ;)

Yep, that's the sort of thing.  Although my cheapo ones from Wilko or Poundland, can't remember which, are green.

But that link to Amazon is good.  There is a 30m one for £10.  That would do my polytunnel!  :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 13:38 »
Oooh and if you do get any brandywines, don't get worried that there is something wrong with the fruits.  They always look like this photo.

Worried the c**p out of me the first time, thought they had blossom end rot or something.  But although they look weird, they are a nice tomato.  Like Tony said they can get big though 1 to 1.5lb each tomato, but very fleshy, so wonderful in a sandwich or they make lovely soup and sauces.
Funny toms 01.JPG

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 13:45 »
hello iv tried mr stripey/tigerella past 2 years very good prolific fruiters dont need too much water i didnt water much last year i was too busy and still had a bumper crop.this tear i must 20 different varieties to try.ill be sowing all these over the weekend golden sunrise is also a good one :D :D ;)byeeeeee.
diggity dig dig

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 14:07 »
I've found that Brandywine actually grow better outdoors.

Here's one I grew earlier:

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 16:00 »
Show off!!    :lol: :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 16:19 »
Well, you opened the door for me!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 16:51 »
Maybe, but I had forgotten about that huge one!   :ohmy:  :lol:

Marcus10

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 22:26 »
You could try the Quadgrow from greenhouse sensation http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/planters/quadgrow.html

It is a sort of 4 pot system with a water tank below which needs filling once a week. The water is sucked up through fabric wick type water feeders as and when the plant needs water. I bought two last week and I am giving them a go this year, having read good reviews. My problem is that I tend to over-water and roots need air aswell as water. Anyway we will see what happens.......

I also bought their chilli grow and a hydroponic system and  I already  have their heated propogator which although is expensive works really well. I have no connection to them and I'm probably just a salesmans dream but will report back if anyonbe is interested on how the quadgrow does in comparison to normal 12 inch pots.

question
Greenhouse tomatoes

Started by Countrydweller on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

38 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 00:40
by Paul Plots
xx
greenhouse tomatoes

Started by brrian on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 08:38
by stompy
xx
Greenhouse Tomatoes

Started by mikeimp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 08:58
by Totty
xx
Tomatoes and Peppers in a greenhouse

Started by carbon337 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 20:14
by Growster...

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.