Where to put bees?

• 9 Replies

VickyW

• Experienced Member
Where to put bees?
« on: June 05, 2011, 22:19 »
Please help - My husband is interested in keeping bees and has been offered a hive and some bees for free!!! from a friend. The thing is, where to put them. We have a child and dog so I feel the garden would be unsafe for all parties so would the garage roof suffice as he wants to enjoy seing them come and go?

Pol

• Pauline
Re: Where to put bees?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 13:20 »
Hi,
That's great, I am still waiting for my hives to come its been 8 week now I think I will e-mail them to see how much longer.
If your garage roof is flat and can take the weight of the hives when it is full of bees and honey I would say yes, beekeepers in cities keep bees successfully on the roofs of buildings, garage roofs, and lofts
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 14:54 »
Garage roof sounds nice, but how will you access them? Hope the ladders are safe!!  Someone new to beekeeping on this forum has made a super little hideyhole by screening off a small area in front of her fence to give them privacy and stop the bees coming out too low, so lessening the stings.  Keep us posted,
from a wannabeeee keeper, C

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 14:56 »
Found the thread ! It's Kate and her Ducks and called Oh Beehave!  Worth a look C

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 15:11 »
Bees cannot take too much sun, in fact, prefer shade so the hives don't overheat and time is wasted cooling off the hive rather than seeking nectar. Unless your garage roof has lots of shade, I wouldn't put it up there.

Bees do mind their own business and the child could be taught not to bother them. The dog should figure it out soon enough.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 16:23 »
Staffies are softer than you think.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 16:26 »
Thanks guys, its given him lots to think about xx

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 15:57 »
I'm a completely new beekeeper so don't pay too much attention to what I say  :happy: but I have found the system I set up has been great.

The screening is a little under 6' and I have been lucky that the flight path they have chosen takes them over the length of our property first. Its a bit odd as it is due west and they prefer SW to SE according to the books which is what I had set up for. This would have taken them slightly closer to my neighbours so I am happy they didn't read the book I have!

i do love sitting and watching their comings and goings.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 14:10 »
Kate, do you have a pic of your setup that I could show him? Please

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 20:40 »
This is the link to where my pics are.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=75852.msg862440#msg862440

It is basically just willow screening round a little corner of the garden to just under 6'. I put the weed suppression fabric round the bottom as you could see in to the hive if you looked closely and am opting for the out of sight, out of mind approach.

xx
Bees

Started by Jilly Pickles on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 23:13
by jimbeekeeper
xx
Bees

Started by wilbzfishing on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 17:49
by sunshineband
xx
New bees

Started by ManicMum on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:04
by darren64
xx
Bees

Started by Rubellite on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 18:30
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.