General questions about seedlings/young plants

• 6 Replies

seanandde

General questions about seedlings/young plants
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:45 »
I've very limited experience of growing anything from seed but this year have tried lots of annuals to fill in the gaps in borders cheaply.  They're mostly different varieties of Cosmos.

Everything got pricked out into 3" either peat or plastic pots to grow on about 3/4 weeks ago.  They've been in my greenhouse overnight and sat on the garden table in the sun during the day and it's been very warm here in the s/e... but they seem to have stalled, growth wise.  They're mostly about 2.5" tall with one two sets of true leaves.  There's been a small amount of growth but not what I expected.

Am I just being impatient?  Do plants this young need feeding? They were all transplanted into fresh compost.  I know I've probably fussed a bit over what could have been started a bit later and sown directly into the gound but I have a bit of an ongoing battle trying to keep weeds in my borders under control thanks to arthritis and not being able to kneel/bend much at all... just wanted to get something to a reasonable size before OH plants them out for me, which seems to have backfired!

Would appreciate some advice - thank you :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: General questions about seedlings/young plants
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:01 »
Cosmos are half-hardy annuals so can't be planted out until the risk of frost is over.

They are pretty strong growers (and a big favourite of mine!) but they will certainly be struggling in 3" pots after all this time, especially as the nutrients in the compost will be exhausted by now.

At least feed them, preferably re-pot them, and next year perhaps consider sowing them directly outside in small groups (makes it easier to stake them because they can get quite tall.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

seanandde

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56 »
I too love Cosmos, witnessed by the 120'odd in their (too little, I now discover) pots all over the place.

I had no idea that such tiny little things should be in larger pots by this stage having only been transplanted 3.5 weeks ago.  Having just carefully tipped one or two out they're definitely not pot bound; the opposite, I'd say, with a few visible roots but nothing like you'd expect to see.

I'll give them a feed and re-pot them at the w/e.  At this rate I'm beginning to wonder how much I've saved myself on not buying them as small plants from the garden centre... right, off out for more compost and more pots!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 13:25 »
120 !!!!   :ohmy:  :ohmy:

I wouldn't be repotting that number until they were definitely pot-bound; try the liquid feed to gee them up a bit - you may get away with it, depending on the frost situation where you live (no location in your profile!)

seanandde

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 13:35 »
I know, it's ridiculous :(  I didn't expect them to germinate so well and then thought I'd have a proportion of fatalities when I pricked out the seedlings which I'm usually none too good at.   I'll be mortified if they don't grow.  They all look really healthy... but just aren't "doing" anything.  Thank you, I'll definitely feed them.  Oh, we're right in the south east corner and I can't remember the last time I had to water flagging perennials in April !

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 14:26 »
I wonder if it is due to the fluctuating day and night temperatures..? They aren't pot bound and I would be surprised if they were after such a short time. The feed won't harm as their root system doesn't sound as it should be. Perhaps the compost wasn't particularly good either..?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

seanandde

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 01:00 »
Easy for me to come back and say I wondered that too :)  But I did, on both counts.  Days have been extremely warm, nights fairly chilly though no frost and, though they all were transplanted into compost which was newly opened, must admit it's very cheap stuff in a big bale from the DIY store.  Might have been a false economy.

The good news is, they've definitely put on a (small) spurt after feeding and probably milder nights over the last 2//3 days has helped.

xx
Young sweet pea plants

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2021, 14:32
by Goosegirl
xx
general gardening

Started by wombling2006 on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2006, 08:51
by wombling2006
xx
General Gardening

Started by Sparkyrog on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2019, 18:17
by rowlandwells
xx
General question about maintaining temperature

Started by zestymordant on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 21:16
by Sprinter60

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 39 queries.