Thirdly at the risk of dominating the general gardening forum LOL

• 13 Replies

sclarke624

I sent for some plants online from the guardian newspaper.  The plants come from J Parker though.  Anyways 5 of the 18 osteospermums wilted and died two days later even though I potted them on.  Two of the five dahlia's have not sprouted. 

The plants were much smaller than I expected they were in a little mesh wrap, which is normal in a box but only one inchacross andone inch tall.  Which isn't their fault really if they are always sent this size.

I emailed and complained and actually they were very good with this, got email next day, and a full refund for everything ordered not just naff plants.  So can't knock them there, but puts me off ordering from them again.

I think I will stick to Jersey plants direct as they clearly show the size of their plugs, so I know exaxtly what I would be getting and I have used them before they are good.  I suggested to J parker it would be helpful if they put the size of their plugs on the page as well.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
uhm, most of the others say whether they are small plugs or garden ready or maxi plugs or something of the sort don't they, so you have some idea at least, but parkers don't... as you say more info required from them :(

Mind you I ordered a multi pack of cottage garden plants from T & M and they were as tiny as the ones you received. That's why I've been growing everything else from seed it's cheaper and at least I choose when to pot on or plant them  8)

I know the nurseries use them, but I don't personally like those little netting bags as my basket fuschias didn't start growing on until I removed the netting. Despite what they say the roots don't seem to grow through them easily :(

Goosegirl

I don't like the netting wraps either and always remove them as I have still seen it there at the end of the growing season. Jersey Plants Direct are superb and I always use them, as are Garden Direct (plants also from Jersey).  :lol:T+M and Parker's -  :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sclarke624

Hmmm! if I get anything else in those little mesh things then I will remove in future.  Yeah Goosegirl my margeurites from gardening direct although very small again, which I didn't expect are really healthly looking.

sclarke624

Mind you I ordered a multi pack of cottage garden plants from T & M and they were as tiny as the ones you received. That's why I've been growing everything else from seed it's cheaper and at least I choose when to pot on or plant them  8)

I usually do stuff from seed as well but surpassed myself with the toms and peppers and having to keep them indoors with the weather, so room was a problem.  I now have bought some shelves to put in the conservatory and more seed trays so all geared up for next year.

I ordered osteospermum and margeurites as I am not sure how easy they are from seed.  Can't even find any margeurites as seed anyway and the osteos they sell as seed are not the type I want.

Ganzania's are dead easy from seed won't ever buy them, lobelia easy but soooo slow, gailllardia easy but haven't quite sussed if they flower the following year or its just my growing, busy lizzie difficult form seed but hey found out how easy it was to cut bits off and root so that was good, maigold easy but sometimes die on me when transplanted but I just do another lot, oh and livingstone daisy which always look a complete and utter mess when I transplant(usually later than I should) but always come through even though I stand there and say look at them they aren't gonna make it.  Those and babys breath and geraniums are more or less what I stick to.

Anything else you have found easy from seed.

DavidT

This is just another reason to frequent your local independent garden centre. :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
after the disaster with the cottage garden plants, some of which didn't make it :( I've been slowly growing all the perennials I need for the border. Delphiniums, geraniums, foxgloves, honesty, aquilegia, nepeta, campanula, shasta daisies, verbena bonariensis to name but a few :lol:  ::)
Which osteos particularly did you want to grow as they are so easy, as are marguerites, if you can supply bottom heat or a really warm windowledge.
Pansies and violas are easy. diascia germinate easily but are slow like lobelia, nicotiana is easy, these are what I've done for my tubs this year :) But buzy lizzies are a real pain though, I'll never try those again  :nowink:

spottymint

Hi

Another who hates the nets, plants never do as well, roots restricted.  :(

I have had  plants from parker, small, but grew on ok. Groundcover plants, poppies, begonia tubers, but T&M, I give up.

Give you all the hype, arrive tiny or like my foxgloves Dead !

I too now grow most from seeds, my local nursery (independent) is so cheap  ;)

Only problem I have is, way too many seeds !  :D

sclarke624

This is just another reason to frequent your local independent garden centre. :D
Oh I agree with you David but the osteo's colours I wanted were bog standard white and mauve in my local nurseries, and there are many round here, and same with the margeurites really.  Also cheaper cos bought in bulk but maybe that was a mistake as they were obviously a lot smaller.

These are the exact osteo's
http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-1003248-af-1/18-osteospermum-collection/
The white and mauve I could have bought in the garden centre.

and these
http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-GD-Site/default/Search-Show?q=Marguerites

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
I got bigish plugs (2" pot size) when I ordered from jparker, packed in a plastic clamshell. Thought they were quite good.

sclarke624

I have grown osteospermums from seed and they are easy.
http://www.johnsons-seeds.com/catalogue/product/osteospermum-annual-salmon/16833/
But a bit more spindly than the ones I like.  
This page is interesting
http://www.osteospermum.com/seed.htm
Half way down the warning.  No big deal cos if its pretty I will grow it.  I think possibly the 'osteo's' in the johnsons link above might come into this category.

I can't find any marguerite seeds, mum.  I've looked.  I got some pansy seeds to do for next year or later this year and some more california poppies forgot about them.  California Poppies I will do now but they won't flower until next year.

sclarke624

ohh and I highly recommed growing Aster milady, easy to grow and lovely colour all through till late summer.
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/1447/1.html

Yabba

Netting wraps, jiffy pellets, peat pots ... all meant to be excellent ways of growing plants whilst avoiding root disturbance. We avoid them like the plague ... rather have disturbed roots than confined roots ;)

On the other hand, some people swear by them .... dunno if I can repeat their testimonies on a family friendly forum :roll:

¥

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
You found out before I could say....only pinks purples and whites are really osteos  :lol:

xx
general gardening

Started by wombling2006 on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2006, 08:51
by wombling2006
xx
General Gardening

Started by Sparkyrog on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2019, 18:17
by rowlandwells
xx
General question about maintaining temperature

Started by zestymordant on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 21:16
by Sprinter60
xx
General soil type/flower advice

Started by cleverkitty on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 20:48
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.