Plucking a hen

• 5 Replies

Oliveview

Plucking a hen
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:18 »
Our ´new´ cockerel was culled (by the neighbour) yesterday evening- there was no way we could keep him, Colin the other cockerel was attacking him all the time.  I´d plucked a hen previously and it took me atleast 2 hours-  Mercedes came and showed me the way to pluck the cockerel-  Put the bird in a big bowl and pour boiling water (or nearly boiling) over the bird and then turn it over so all the bird is soaked.  Leave it for about 2 min and then remove- it took just 5 min at the most to pluck the cockerel! 
He weighed just over 4kg un- cleaned and just over 3kg when cleaned out.  He is in my freezer- 3 portions for meals and 1 bag for a soup pack.
Coq au Vin later on when we have visitors :D
Pamela

Flowerpower136

Re: Plucking a hen
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:49 »
Yum!

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:33 »
Super!

I did my first cockerel dry, and like you, it took about two hours.  I plan on scalding the next ones too - I'm just a bit concerned about spoiling the meat by leaving them in the hot water too long.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:41 »
I've always dry plucked but may try this method as well, thanks Pamela  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 19:03 »
I've heard of this too but not sure it would work with a duck due to their waterproofing. What do you think?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 19:24 »
Apparantly if you add soap to the scalding water (which should only be about 60°C) you can do ducks as well.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 37 queries.