Poorly chicken

• 13 Replies

cheriton

Poorly chicken
« on: July 05, 2010, 08:40 »
I have been away for a week and when I got back last night chicken tikka was in a right state looking down and her comb is pale.

Before I went chicken balti was bullying her and constantly pecking her, I used to give her a squirt with my water bottle. But it has escalated into a bald patch on her back near her tail and when i sat watching last night chicken balti went out of her way to follow chicken tikka and peck her at every opportunity. I took her out and covered her bald spot with purple spray, her vent is clean but some red mites were on her as they were also on the towel i used to her her in. i removed Chicken Balti and she is currently in a large box.

I have had problems will red mite for about a month despite cleaning regularly with jeyes , using poultry shield and diacom. I have also been blasting the coop with my hubbys blow torch  every few days to the point of nearly setting the thing alight.

Seriously thinking about buying an Eglu but what can I do in the time being with my ill chicken. Any help appreciated.

Complete mayhem here my daughter has just gone into labour,,,, so I am staying home as long as possible in order to keep my hens save before I have to disappear again.

Carol :(

themagicaltoad1

Re: Poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 12:11 »
Chickens will pick on one they see as poorly. You might need to get some beak clips for chicken balti. Your unwell hen could be feeling anaemic if she's been attacked by the red mites, try giving her a tonic in the water. Can you move them to a different coop until the RM's have all been eradicated?

cheriton

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 00:52 »
Chickens will pick on one they see as poorly. You might need to get some beak clips for chicken balti. Your unwell hen could be feeling anaemic if she's been attacked by the red mites, try giving her a tonic in the water. Can you move them to a different coop until the RM's have all been eradicated?

Chicken Balti was put back in the run this morning (Monday) and this evening I bought a rabbit hutch which I modified for the hens as a temporary home to give me the time to take my coop apart and give it a serious seeing to.

I spoke to my vet who had nothing to treat the hen with until Thursday so I went up to a local chicken supplier who sold me some lifesaver tonic and lots more poultry shield.
They did tell me that the omlet eglu aren't big enough for 3 chickens but the omlet cube was.

At over £500 it is not an option. So hubby is going to clad the coop with wetwall a product that is used in kitchens and bathrooms to keep them hygenic. With less crevises this should hopefully help eradicate the  red mite. The good thing is it is white and at least I will be able to see the little critters. :)

I also have a new grandson lol :D :D

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:43 »
Congratulations on your Grandson.  We too became grandparents for the first time this year.

There's another post on RM running curently. 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=60330.msg702822#msg702822

Basically blow torching doesn't work well I've tried this without success in the past.  Steam cleaning is best.  A residual lasting pesticide is the only answer I found coupled with deep cleans and painting a Diatom slurry on the perches to discourage them.  Yes Eglus are tiny for L/F chx but plastic coops are easier to clean.  Ensure that when hubby clads the house you don't end up with more hiding places you can't get to but RM can otherwise youll make matters worse.

Best of Luck
HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:37 »
an eglu will house 3 large fowl easily but only if you have a bigger run. Aunt Sally had 3 in her eglu and that was placed inside a large run. I use my eglu as a broody coup with it's proper run attached. There is also the new eco coups which are cheaper and bigger. I am going to save up for two of even bigger version of those  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:49 »
an eglu will house 3 large fowl easily but only if you have a bigger run. Aunt Sally had 3 in her eglu and that was placed inside a large run. I use my eglu as a broody coup with it's proper run attached. There is also the new eco coups which are cheaper and bigger. I am going to save up for two of even bigger version of those  :D

I note a few other suppliers have latched on to the eglu's run limitations and produced a bigger addon run for them.  For example Forshams have done this.  Worth considering if you don't mind the looks of the eglu.  Though not my cup of tea.

HF

cheriton

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 16:02 »
Congratulations on your Grandson.  We too became grandparents for the first time this year.

There's another post on RM running curently. 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=60330.msg702822#msg702822

Basically blow torching doesn't work well I've tried this without success in the past.  Steam cleaning is best.  A residual lasting pesticide is the only answer I found coupled with deep cleans and painting a Diatom slurry on the perches to discourage them.  Yes Eglus are tiny for L/F chx but plastic coops are easier to clean.  Ensure that when hubby clads the house you don't end up with more hiding places you can't get to but RM can otherwise youll make matters worse.

Best of Luck
HF

Thank you HF,  I will dust off th steam cleaner and get to work. Hubby was going to clad in plastic type product used in kitchens/wetrooms to keep them clean. You only end up with joints at the bottom/top/sides as it will be full sheets that are used. The joints will be fused closed, we will make sure that there are plenty of ventalation holes above head height to compensate for no draughts through the floor and sides.  Now work in progress :D

caroline17

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 19:58 »
One of the replies to this post mentioned alternative coup to Omlet eglu due to short run, however you can buy a run extension and it only takes 20 minutes to adapt old frame. Very impressed with the product and would recommend both the coop and the extension. :D

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 22:18 »
if they are to be in the run permanently then really each hen needs at least 1 square meter per bird but ideally for them to be happier they would need 2 or even 3 square meters per bird, which means you need a lot of extension run pieces.

cheriton

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:00 »
Chicken Tikka stills looks under the weather  :(- but at least she is still with us :). Chicken Balti is still picking on her ( thoughts of wringing her neck came to mind) but I squirted her with water instead ;). After much deliberation and some good advice I am going to burn the dreaded coop. I feel itchy constantly and the thought of the little beasts is driving me mad.
My OH is going to make me a coop using wetwall coated ply and phenolic ply internally with an onduline or similar roof thus cutting out most of the hiding places for the redmites.

The Omlet run extensions weren't suitable for the space in my garden so OH will make a nice coop ,widen my existing run then add some more length so as to give my girls plenty of space.

If I end up waiting too long (still waiting for new door handles upstairs 2 years on lol - the joys of having a joiner for a husband) then a eco coop is the way I will go - thanks for that info Joyfull - lots more space for the girls  ;).

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 02:20 »
Remember to post a picture of hubby's handywork when done.

HF

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 16:33 »
not just more space for the girls but you can get them that house 20 at least - just think lots more girls  :lol:

cheriton

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 21:15 »
Well Chicken Tikka is looking in the pink now so I am very pleased with that.  :D :D
After a very busy week last week I  took apart the old coop ready for a steam clean before cladding - yikes talk about feeling cooty there were so many red mites in every joint and crevice. I set to them with a blow torch but they ran out the other side, it was horrible. The pesky things were on my hands and my feet (I had crocs on lol)it was like being in an old jungle film swatting my arms and neck constantly. The thought makes me itch again. So I am afraid to say the coop has met it maker via a bonfire!!I then bought myself a pre-loved green Eglu - it is absolutely marvelous, a dream to clean .But....the run is awful , the access is a nightmare unless you commando crawl into it :blink: :blink: :ohmy:

So today we have been making a timber run which will have welded mesh panels and access doors to enable easier cleaning (should be finished tomorrow) and the run will be making its way onto Ebay lol. ;)

cheriton

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 21:16 »
not just more space for the girls but you can get them that house 20 at least - just think lots more girls  :lol:

I would love to house 20 Joyfull but do not have the room in my small garden :) :)

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 08:54
by rowbow
sad
poorly chicken

Started by maisy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 01:39
by hillfooter
xx
Poorly Chicken Help!!

Started by mad-hen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 11:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
Help! Poorly new chicken

Started by Maybelle on The Hen House

60 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 14:53
by andreadon

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.