Just got a coop, now what.....?!?!

• 17 Replies

wellies101

Just got a coop, now what.....?!?!
« on: September 13, 2009, 20:36 »
Hi All

Very excited, just bought a chicken coop which can hold 3/4 chickens. It comes with a small run, but I'm planning on extending that to give the chickens a bit more freedom to roam about.

I know I need feeders, drinkers, etc. and I haven't even decided on breed yet, however, any advice on a starting up chicken keeper would be greatly appreciated. Good breeds, plastic drinkers over stainless steel, winter tips, etc??

Many thanks

wellies101

Re: Just got a coop, now what.....?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 20:50 »
Oh, forgot to mention, when it comes to buying birds, if I got young birds (day old for example) would I need to provide them with anything extra or could I put them in the coop? Or, as a starter, would it be best to get POL/16 week birds?

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 20:52 »
I would recommend point of lay as you are a starter. Day olds require heat lamps and keeping indoors in a brooder. What size is your coup and integral run?
Staffies are softer than you think.

wellies101

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 20:58 »
W 2.5m x D 0.9m x H 1.5m

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 20:59 »
Hi Wellies101 welcome to the henhouse! I wouldn't suggest starting off with day old chicks as you have to have them under constant heat for 4 maybe 5 weeks and its the wrong time of year, especially for a beginner.

You are better off starting with some POL's like you say 16 weeks+, get used to the chickens then decide if you want to expand into chick rearing!

Even ex batts lovely as they are, can have health and stress problems, so would be better for later on when you have more experience.

Galvanised drinkers and feeders will last a lot longer than plastic ones, but are a lot more expensive, unless you can get them at an auction maybe?  But if you ever buy anything 2nd hand, then make sure you disinfect it well as they can harbour nasties that could make your new girls sick.  We buy our feeders and drinkers etc from www.solwayfeeders.com

They are very reasonably priced and as they are farmers, if you have a question about a product, they are very knowledgeable too.  

We tend to use layers pellets for ours as they are less messy than layers mash (or meal) some shops call it.  Give the pellets ad lib then late in the afternoon let them have a few treats.  maybe some mixed corn or kitchen scraps.  they love pasta and rice, and green stuffs and fruit, but just remember, everything in moderation, and nothing with salt, sugar fat or milk in, unless its a probiotic yoghurt if they are ill and need a little help to get better.

Chickweed and dandelions and cabbage leaves are very good for them.

I'm sure others will be along to offer more ideas soon!  Good luck!!!

As to breeds, I'd say start with hybids which are cheaper to buy, if you do have any problems with them, then it hasn't cost you the earth.

That coop sounds a bit small.  Are the dimensions you mention the whole thing run AND coop?  DEFRA minimum requirements for the coop are 1 bird per sq foot, but even that isn't really enough, with 1 bird per sq metre of run, which again isn't really enough.  How big is the coop?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 21:02 by GrannieAnnie »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 21:07 »
I would build a new/extended run before you get your hens. The minimum run space recommended is 1 square meter per bird although most on here would tell you to have at least 2 square meters per bird. If you get a metal drinker you cannot give your girls apple cider vinegar so get another drinker as well but plastic so you can put acv in that with the water. Might be a good idea to get some diatom as well for puffing around your coup when you clean them out and for sprinkling in their bedding, this helps keep a check on mites and lice. Also ask you local vet if they will treat your girls should they need treatment.

wellies101

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 21:25 »
I plan on building an extension to the run, give them a bit more space during the day. I got the coop off ebay so I guess the dimensions include the whole thing, however, I'll assemble it when it arrives as give exact measurments once I've got the thing set up.

Thanks for the advice RE POL birds, hybrids too. However, if we went for a pure breed, are some better starter breeds than others? The better half is particularly keen on bantams that "wear trousers". However, I don't want our choice to be made on aesthetics alone!

Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 21:29 »
If you get bantams at least they would have a bit more room in the coop, but I'm not up on the what sort of bantams are friendly subject!  But some of the other members have them.

I know my little Silkie cockerel is friendly, although a bit shy of me, but he is foster Mum at the moment to a runt Goldline which is his second foster daughter!!!! lol

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 22:19 »
Pekins are a great starter bird 'Bantams that wear trousers'  :D
If you get them young enough (as with most chickens or bantams ) they become very friendly.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

RichardH

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:41 »
We've just collected our first birds. We went for hybrid (large fowl), and the place we got them from was very keen that we stuck with particular types which are the better natured ones. I had had my heart set on a Silver Sussex style hybrid, but they're apparently not quite so friendly and mellow as other types, so we were steered away from them - and of course the pullets we've ended up with are lovely (even though the rest of the family overruled me on the choice of the fourth bird :()

Perhaps it's worth saying where in the country you are, as people may know good suppliers nearly.

I found Wells Poultry Housing and Equipment nearly as cheap as Solway feeders, and they do all the other bits like diatom, cidfer vinegar, poultry spice etc too - saves paying double postage!

nzdunn

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 12:06 »
I plan on building an extension to the run, give them a bit more space during the day. I got the coop off ebay so I guess the dimensions include the whole thing, however, I'll assemble it when it arrives as give exact measurments once I've got the thing set up.

Thanks for the advice RE POL birds, hybrids too. However, if we went for a pure breed, are some better starter breeds than others? The better half is particularly keen on bantams that "wear trousers". However, I don't want our choice to be made on aesthetics alone!

Thanks

The only pure bred i have is a cuckoo maran and is a absoutely gorgeous.  Was a bit flightly to begin with but now she is just soooo friendly and very very cheeky, lay lovely dark dark brown eggs.  nickyx

wellies101

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 07:20 »
Hi, I live in Wisley, Surrey, so if anyone knows of any good suppliers near this area please do let me know. I have a car and don't mind travelling for good birds/supplier.

Thanks

wellies101

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 13:07 »
Hi all, started this thread about 1 month ago and just wanted to let you all know we have now bought our chickens!!   :) :) :)

We have one each of the following:

ISA Brown
Red Ranger
Bovan Nera
Belle blue/haze

They are beautiful birds, in great condition and seem to be settling in very well so far. A quick thank you to Southmead Poultry who were very very helpful throughout the whole process. I'll try and get some images up.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 18:46 »
hi! congratulations, its nice to have a mix of breeds. did you get POL  or pullets in the end? look forward to seeing the piccis :D

nzdunn

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 20:13 »
congratulations on your new girlies, really looking forward to the piccys.  nickyx

xx
Hot coop?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 17:02
by Goldfinger
xx
COOP

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 21:55
by richyrich7
xx
Coop Cam

Started by curries on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 18:31
by evie2
xx
New Run and Coop

Started by stujem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 16:47
by izzy

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 37 queries.