wilma

• 3 Replies

pammie

wilma
« on: April 16, 2011, 13:52 »
Hello there again, many thanks for your comments about my Wilma.  Does anyone think raw garlic and cod liver oil will kill and deter worm as we found some yesterday?

Also the man at the pet shop (they sell all types of animal feeds, medication and seem to have a lot of  knowledge)  said that he cleans his chicken coop and run out with garlic and clove oil mixed with a small amount of surgical spirit then lets it sit for a while. Mixes it with water in a spray bottle.  He said that he does not have any red mite or any other undesirables.   he  does not give them grit but they have a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables.  Any comments on these two questions would be greatly appreciated.

bantam novice

Re: wilma
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 17:15 »
Hello Pammie,

From what I have read in this forum (though I do not recall hearing about raw garlic and cod-liver oil) the best way to treat worms is with Flubenvet.  People have tried all kinds of alternatives but Flubenvet keeps coming up as the best.  If you type Flubenvet into the search box in the top right-hand corner you will find all sorts of information.

As far as redmite is concerned this has been a growing issue and there has been loads of discussion about how to keep the little ****ers away.  The best way so far seems to be using poulty shield to disinfect the inside of your house first then using a diatom slurry.  This is diatomaceous earth, a powder, which you mix into a paste with a dilute disinfectant such as poultry shield and a little washing up liquid.  You paint this on all the surfaces of your perch including the ends.  You also paint some into all the cracks and crevices of the house and where the perch sits.  Again if you type Diatom slurry into the search box you will find more information.

I read today that one forum member used a steam cleaner to clean their coop successfully.  I am going to watch out for the comments on this because it seems like an effective way to clean the coop.  This person put a handful of DE dust in the coop and closed all bar one of the access points.  A short blast was then given with a leaf blower to spread the dust around the house.

Good luck with your hens, Pammie, and keep us posted  :D

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

pammie

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 21:48 »
Thanks Bantam Novice for your comments. 

I will have a look at your suggestions.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 00:10 »
Hi pammie, I had also heard the suggestions of using raw garlic, apple cider vinegar and pumpkin seeds to prevent worm infestations in chickens.  I used all of them.  None of them worked.  :(

I have now used a chemical wormer and the evidence was right there in the droppings - my chickens very clearly had roundworms despite all my efforts.

Obviously this was in no way a scientific experiment and others may have different results, but I have decided to use chemical wormers from now on.  (I will use Flubenvet/Flubenol as soon as I can locate some.)

sad
Wilma's not well

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 14:35
by Flowerpower136
question
How to get Wilma to take her tabs?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 10:35
by dizzylizzie
xx
poor wilma

Started by pammie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 20:58
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.