PSB

• 3 Replies

Rich72

• Experienced Member
PSB
« on: August 25, 2012, 22:49 »
Evening all.

I was just looking through my seed collection, looking for something to sow now. Looked my PSB which I didn't get to sow this year and it says sow September OR march. A little tinterweb research has shed little light on when is best to sow. Can anyone shed any light? Got a little excited when I realized I might have something to sow and plant before winter.

Rich

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: PSB
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:46 »
PSB is a very slow crop to mature and is usually sown in spring.  If you sow now you will be overwintering small plants and they may well run straight to seed next spring, rather than make a crop for you.

If you have itchy fingers, overwintering onions and garlic will be available in the shops soon.  You could also sow spinach for a late crop, or chard and perpetual spinach to overwinter for next spring.

If you have cloches to protect crops you can still squeeze in a few quick croppers like lettuce, carrots and the like  :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:35 »
I planted two batches in September last year.  One batch cropped in April as expected but I am STILL waiting for one batch (a different variety) to crop! >:(

Like Newshoot says, some of mine did go immediately to seed when we had the hot weather in May, but I removed these plants and the remainder have done very little.  I have recently given them a feed of tomato food to hopefully encourage them to produce spears.

I am frustrated by the sheer amount of space they are taking up - and no produce yet!

As shoot says, there is loads you can still plant.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:34 »
I sowed mine in late May, along with some kale. They germinated fine but were slow to get going once potted up. I planted them both out about three weeks ago and, apart from snails and caterpillars, they are doing fine. I thought PSB cropped over winter - we'll see.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 36 queries.