Butternut Squash

• 20 Replies

eliza

Re: Butternut Squash
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 15:08 »
I tried growing butternut squash last year in the U.K. but had no success. The first flowers came at the same time as the first frost! However this year, in France, I planted 4 Waltham seeds of which 3 germinated. From these 3 plants I've had about 17 enormous squashes and a couple of little ones. We've eaten 2 and others are still ripening. Having not grown them before I don't know what to do. Do I cut them all off and let them ripen on the ground or inside or somewhere else? Do I leave them on the vines (which are looking a bit brown). I would like them to last as long as possible so how do I store them?

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 08:24 »
I grew the same variety as you Azazello,with exactly the same results :(

I have scribbled down all the other better varieties grown by everyone else,roll on next year eh?lol

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 09:04 »
I got one lovely large butternut squash, then I tried shifting it to a better position to ripen and it came off the plant!!  :lol: Oh well.

Same  :(  It was only slightly larger than a tennis ball but my biggest one! It was still green but I brought it home to try and ripen it on the windowsill. It is slightly less green now but starting to go wrinkly and soft at one end  :(
Rachael

savbo

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 12:16 »
I thought our Turks Turban (grown from seed out of an ornamental one we bought in Majorca!) were not going to do anything, but the last few weeks they've filled out well and we must have about 20 that are 4" plus which seems to me about the smalles it's worth keeping... going orange slowly so I guess some will end up on the windowsill

crh75

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 15:06 »
Having not grown them before I don't know what to do. Do I cut them all off and let them ripen on the ground or inside or somewhere else? Do I leave them on the vines (which are looking a bit brown). I would like them to last as long as possible so how do I store them?
Leave them on the plant until frosts are a threat.  Then cut them off (with plenty of stalk) to bring in somwhere light, airy and frost free.

Elcie

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 18:51 »
Mine are not large but I have a fair few butternuts growing and they are ripening.  I am planning on leaving them for hopefully another couple of weeks then will follow the advice and bring them in before the first frost.

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut squash

Started by ian.ford on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 12:09
by Kristen
xx
4lb 2oz butternut squash!!

Started by gurtie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 16:34
by gurtie
xx
butternut squash

Started by terrijane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 12:17
by terrijane

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 35 queries.