Cucurbits - Mildew A Pain In The ****

• 5 Replies

Fisherman

Cucurbits - Mildew A Pain In The ****
« on: September 02, 2010, 20:47 »
Cucurbits - Squash, Pumpkins, Courgettes

Any experts got any advice on how to prevent Mildew on the above. Every year at this time my plants get covered in Mildew. I have tried diluted milk sprayed on the leaves with limited success and other so called preventative sprays.

Is it best to leave the fruit on the plants to ripen even though the leaves are covered in Mildew.

Cucumbers are OK in the greenhouse. Melons are fine because I haven't grown any  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucurbits - Mildew A Pain In The ****
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 21:58 »
I suspect a few people might disagree with me here but I'll say it anyway: cucurbits are not native to this country and our growing season is usually neither long nor warm enough to be ideal for them, so they tend to finish a bit sooner (or start later!) than you would like, and mildew is nature's way of starting the process of recycling the plant  for next year.

I've never seen the actual fruits damaged by mildew, so as long as there is a bit of life left in the plant itself you might as well leave the fruits to develop as much as possible.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 22:07 »
Thanks JayG. My intention at the moment is to leave the fruit on as long as possible irrespective of the Mildew damage. As yet the fruit are unaffected by the Mildew.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 22:33 »
I just snip off the mildewed leaves and let the rest of the plant get on with it. Never had any problems with mildewed fruit and, to be honest, after harvesting nearly 50 cukes so far this year I'm starting to wish they would give up!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 22:52 »
I just snip off the mildewed leaves and let the rest of the plant get on with it. Never had any problems with mildewed fruit and, to be honest, after harvesting nearly 50 cukes so far this year I'm starting to wish they would give up!!

My cues did give up :(...........the courgettes now...they're a different matter ::)

andy135

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 23:23 »
My two Q plants were suffering quite badly. I lost the early fruit as it just failed to swell. I stripped all the infected leaves off and sprayed with milk, but it really didn't do much good.
When we got a touch of blight on the alottments I sprayed my spuds with the dithane replacement product, I think it's called Fruit and Vegetable Disease Control Fungicide (Bayer)
, and I sprayed my indoor toms with it. Some of the overspray went onto my Q's and after about a week they started picking up. I now have seven new cucumbers swelling nicely.

xx
Pinching out cucurbits

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 13:09
by Stratts
xx
Cucurbits Pollination

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2013, 23:48
by dmg
xx
Grafting of cucurbits, really that easy?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 20:29
by gobs
xx
Chilli pain!

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 21:50
by Dai

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 40 queries.