Recipe : Lemon "Saucy" Pudding

• 3 Replies

DanielCoffey

Recipe : Lemon "Saucy" Pudding
« on: February 26, 2023, 19:56 »
RECIPE : Lemon "Saucy" Pudding

This is a good example of a Self Saucing Pudding that is a perfect way to use a couple of leftover lemons. It is also a great recipe to let your children observe or help with because it changes its appearance in the oven while cooking. It starts as a layer of batter in the bottom of a dish with some thin lemon sauce on top but as it cooks the batter puffs up and rises through the sauce till it is floating on the top.

Preheat oven to 160C Fan or 180C Convection
Butter a deep flat-bottomed dish such as a Pyrex that is about 24cm to 27cm in diameter.

Ingredients : 60g melted butter, 100g castor sugar, 1 large egg, 2 lemons, 125ml whole milk, 3 tsp cornstarch, 250ml boiling water, 165g plain flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, pinch salt, 65g additional castor sugar.

Batter : Prepare the batter in a large mixing bowl by combining 60g melted butter, 100g castor sugar and 1 large egg. Add the zest of 2 lemons and the juice of 1/2 of a lemon and 125ml whole milk.

Dry ingredients : Sift 165g plain flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt into a medium bowl.

Sauce : In a jug combine 3 tsp cornstarch, the juice of the remaining 1 1/2 lemons and 250ml boiling water.

Combine the batter and the dry ingredients then transfer the thick batter to the buttered dish. Sprinkle the additional 65g of castor sugar over the top. Pour the hot sauce gently over the top then transfer to the pre-heated oven. If the dish is more than 3/4 full, place a baking tray underneath in case of any overflow.

Bake at 160C Fan for 35-40 minutes or 180C Convection for 30 minutes.

In the first five minutes the pudding will rise through the sauce and end up on the surface with a layer of undissolved sugar on the top. As it cooks the sauce will thicken and the pudding will continue to rise. Serve warm but it is excellent even when fully cooled.
SaucyPudding.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Recipe : Lemon "Saucy" Pudding
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 20:09 »
I absolutely love this pudding  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 09:59 »
Years since I’ve made this, thanks for sharing the recipe, think I’ll make it with the grandchildren next time they come for tea  :D. Their daddy made it at his cookery lesson one time & loved it   :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 06:40 »
I haven't made this in years but it's on the menu for tonight. Pretty sure I did a chocolate version as well when the kids were little.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 42 queries.