What survived?

• 8 Replies

Candide

• Experienced Member
What survived?
« on: January 30, 2023, 12:40 »
Dried out enough to have a look at the plot.  The broad beans have frozen and died;  aquadulce Claudia which were OK last season but 2 Arctic periods must have been too much.
Had another go at elephant garlic and they all have their little snouts up ...bless.
Still got some leeks to lift and some cavalo Nero to pick.
How long to give it before sowing some more broad beans in unheated greenhouse?

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Re: What survived?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:59 »
I think you could go for it pretty much straight away. I plant seed directly into raised beds with a clo he on in February

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 16:51 »
Lost all but 4 of my Sutton broad beans to the arctic weather. My PSB is looking far from its best but I am hoping it will still flower. I have given it some potash to encourage it and a tonic of bonemeal. Chard also looking battered but fingers crossed for this too.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 20:46 »
All my leeks and psb died. Parsnips, garlic, swede, landcress and claytonia laughed at the weather.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 21:46 »
So sorry to hear that you also had arctic events this year.

Survivors from my deep freeze in December (pre-holidays) include some lettuce varieties, spinach, tatsoi (= spoon mustard), one lone snap pea, one Windsor broad bean (sprouting from the roots), and a half dozen carrots.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 12:22 »
All my leeks and psb died. Parsnips, garlic, swede, landcress and claytonia laughed at the weather.

Loosing your PSB is so sad after all the time that you have been caring for it  :(

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 17:54 »
My Aqua dolce Claudia are doing direct sown outside about 3 inch high I’m in Yorkshire region the normally can take a right beating think there ok to minus ten or something I planted mine in November

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 17:20 »
My Aqua dolce Claudia are doing direct sown outside about 3 inch high I’m in Yorkshire region the normally can take a right beating think there ok to minus ten or something I planted mine in November

My Suttons were in root growing modules. The green tops survived the arctic weather but the roots and stems turned black and the plants died. I am guessing that the soil in the modules froze killing the roots which wouldn't have happened if direct sown in soil. Lesson for Autumn sowing of broad beans for the future?

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 18:13 »
Garlic just about made it, and seems to be getting going now!

I've delayed sowing Suttons Mini BBeans, as it's just been so cold, and it isn't a race really...

Popped in the Tete a Tete far too late too - they should have gone in in December I was told in a stern voice by a local gentleman!

xx
herbs that survived the winter

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 18:30
by celjaci
xx
Has your outdoor parsley survived the weather?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 18:52
by RichardA

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 34 queries.